Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Carl Sagan
Carl Sagan
You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Carl Sagan
The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent. - Carl Sagan
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. - Carl Sagan
'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely? Jer 8:8
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. Groucho Marx
RE: Carl Sagan
The fact that so little of the findings of modern science is prefigured in Scripture to my mind casts further doubt on its divine inspiration - Carl Sagan, Demon Haunted World, pp. 35

It is a characteristic conceit of our species to put a human face on random cosmic violence - pp. 45
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely? Jer 8:8
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. Groucho Marx
(August 27, 2008 at 2:46 pm)StewartP Wrote: It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Thats definitely my favourite Carl Sagan quote... it's awesome. So obvious yet it doesn't occur to so many people; or they simply don't care.

I've edited this post because I've found another Carl Sagan quote that I find atleast as inspiring after all: "Atheism is more than just the knowledge that gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature. " - Carl Sagan.
"For we are the local embodiment of a cosmos grown to self-awareness; grouped assemblages of 10,000,000,000,000 atoms contemplating the atom, starstuff pondering the stars, tracing that long path by which here at least, matter grew to consciousness. Our obligation to survive is owed not just to the species, not just to the planet, but to that Cosmos, ancient and vast, from which we spring."

...not only does that quote still literally make me tear up every time I read it, but it also gives me chills the way no made-up religious text ever could. All of Cosmos was a work of scientific/secular humanist art...but...the last moments of the 13th episode, Who Speaks For Earth?, are in my opinion, arguably, some of the MOST powerful words EVER spoken on television.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Can this topic also be used for quotes [b]about[b/b] Carl Sagan, even if they are our own? Because I myself had a conversation with a friend of mine, and mentioned that "the whole of Carl Sagan's work can be summed up in the phrase 'close, but no cigars.' " Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carl Sagan: Pale blue dot Creed of Heresy 4 1182 August 1, 2013 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
Music Carl Sagan - The Demon Haunted World (Audiobook) Woody68 0 886 April 28, 2013 at 8:16 am
Last Post: Woody68
  Carl Orff - Carmina Burana O Fortuna ib.me.ub 3 1944 January 4, 2010 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Symphony of Science (with Carl Sagan) BoxxyBabee 13 5574 November 29, 2009 at 11:38 am
Last Post: theVOID
  Sagan Darwinian 1 1054 October 13, 2009 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Amphora