Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Symphony of Science (with Carl Sagan)
Symphony of Science (with Carl Sagan)
As a new person on an unfamiliar forum, I'm a tad bit apprehensive.
I've seen a few noobs get torn apart on other forums. (;

Hoping this isn't a repost.
But, I'm a fan of Carl Sagan, and his views concerning science and life.
I was thinking maybe there would be other people who view the world through the tinted glasses of science?

I quite liked these videos, and wanted to share~

[youtube]vioZf4TjoUI[/youtube]

[youtube]XGK84Poeynk[/youtube]

[youtube]zSgiXGELjbc[/youtube]
Humanity has become too complacent, the only limits which exist are the limits we create.
RE: Symphony of Science (with Carl Sagan)
Carl Sagan is certainly one of my 'heroes'. In fact, I remember when I first came across him. It was in the early eighties when his series Cosmos was first broadcast on British T.V. That was before VHS and so I had to watch it live and nothing else mattered.

It was only recently that I bought the entire DVD set and could re-live my childhood.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(November 29, 2009 at 7:31 am)Darwinian Wrote: It was only recently that I bought the entire DVD set and could re-live my childhood.

I got it for xmas last year Wink
I'm not really one to idolise but Carl Sagan is a big "hero" of mine too.

"We Are All Connected" is stupidly addictive. When I first heard the song I remember playing it 7 or 8 times at random intervals during the night with a lady friend. It was more trippy than the chemicals by 5am =p An experience I recommend to anybody who has no hint of a reputation left to cling to Smile

Thanks for posting these up. I hadn't see the "our place in the cosmos".
Love that dawkings quote from TED in the corus of 'our place in the cosmos": "Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you, some may find the thought disturbing, but i find the reality thrilling"
I think the Sagan quotes are some of the most profound ideas I've ever come across in science.

From Our Place In The Cosmos: "Star-stuff contemplating the stars"
And from We Are All Connected: "The cosmos is also within us- we're made of star-stuff"

It instills a real feeling of belonging and makes me feel at home among my heavenly fathers in the sky (the sun and stars). Far more uplifting in my own opinion than the idea of a personal creator.
(November 29, 2009 at 10:30 am)LukeMC Wrote: I think the Sagan quotes are some of the most profound ideas I've ever come across in science.

From Our Place In The Cosmos: "Star-stuff contemplating the stars"
And from We Are All Connected: "The cosmos is also within us- we're made of star-stuff"

It instills a real feeling of belonging and makes me feel at home among my heavenly fathers in the sky (the sun and stars). Far more uplifting in my own opinion than the idea of a personal creator.

Makes me reconsider dropping Network Engineering and studying Physics.
Look at you lot getting all religious! Big Grin
(November 29, 2009 at 10:42 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Look at you lot getting all religious! Big Grin

*Sigh* You got inspiration and brainwashing mixed up again, retard.
Haha! Big Grin

It's only a matter of degree VOID. I'm sure you have the intellectual capacity to cope Wink
(November 29, 2009 at 10:34 am)theVOID Wrote: Makes me reconsider dropping Network Engineering and studying Physics.

Sagan also said that "cosmology is a humbling and character-building experience". I think you should do it Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carl Sagan: Pale blue dot Creed of Heresy 4 1185 August 1, 2013 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
Music Carl Sagan - The Demon Haunted World (Audiobook) Woody68 0 887 April 28, 2013 at 8:16 am
Last Post: Woody68
  The Symphony of Science [By Melodysheep] Creed of Heresy 0 990 March 5, 2012 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Symphony of Science Ace Otana 1 1182 December 19, 2011 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  symphony of science The_Flying_Skeptic 0 793 December 4, 2011 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: The_Flying_Skeptic
  Carl Sagan Darwinian 7 3186 February 28, 2010 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Watson
  Carl Orff - Carmina Burana O Fortuna ib.me.ub 3 1945 January 4, 2010 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Sagan Darwinian 1 1056 October 13, 2009 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Amphora