Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if..
What if..
What if our reality as we know is just.. some sort of really advance simulation and we are just here just enjoying the experience. What if we are hooked up to some sort of matrix like machine so in turn when we die we are out of this existence and do something and only to return.. just as thought that is all.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: What if..
There's this set of movies what fleshes this out in a way...
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(January 19, 2015 at 11:28 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: There's this set of movies what fleshes this out in a way...

Good catch; most people didn't catch the metaphysical subtext of the Legally Blonde movies. The way Reese Witherspoon played a body that thought she was at Harvard Law School but was actually a battery hooked up to a machine in a simulated consciousness was incredible.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
I read a book this... Forget the name, but it was pretty good...
Everything (almost everything) is made of atoms, and atoms are made of quarks, right?
What if quarks are made of universes? And inside those universes are more universes?
That means we are made up by universes and we are part of a universe, that makes up a quark in an atom in a larger universe, and so on.
Hey, you can't prove it's not true...
Gone
(January 19, 2015 at 11:35 pm)Roxy904 Wrote: Hey, you can't prove it's not true...

That statement sounds dangerously familiar.

The matrix theory is nice and all, but there's one question... why the simulation? If someone else is profiting from us, wouldn't it be better to just put us in a coma? Why bother and create a whole reality?
(January 19, 2015 at 11:31 pm)TRJF Wrote:
(January 19, 2015 at 11:28 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: There's this set of movies what fleshes this out in a way...

Good catch; most people didn't catch the metaphysical subtext of the Legally Blonde movies. The way Reese Witherspoon played a body that thought she was at Harvard Law School but was actually a battery hooked up to a machine in a simulated consciousness was incredible.

Wasn't it obvious in the end though, in the scene where she figures out the thing with whether that other woman had gotten a perm or not? That was such a transparent metaphor for her sudden insight into the philosophical consequences of transhumanism.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

If I had to pick any "creator" scenario, the simulation hypothesis wins by a country mile.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 20, 2015 at 5:38 am)robvalue Wrote: If I had to pick any "creator" scenario, the simulation hypothesis wins by a country mile.

Yeah. Matrix over Jewish zombie any time.
Neo would own up rotting rabbi.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Of course, either way, the Zionists make a mess.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition