Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists: Facing the unfaceable
Atheists: Facing the unfaceable
I'm about to leave to visit a friend today, but this thought struck me this morning so I wanted to share it.

I think atheists are an admirable, courageous lot. Where all religions have a concept of an afterlife in one way or another (reincarnation, heaven, nirvana, etc.), atheists are about the only ones who face up to the oblivion that death promises without having to resort to fairy tales for false comfort. Many of us were indoctrinated into Christianity or some other religion, deluded with the thoughts of pearly gates and taking a stroll with our dead grandparents in heaven, which makes it all the more awesome that we have transcended this shared delusion and accepted, or at least acknowledged, the ultimate fate that awaits us all.

The prospect of non-existence is, frankly, a horrifying thought when first conceived. It has taken me a long time, but I've come to view death as natural and as necessary a thing as birth. We were born, and we will die. Such is the fate of all organisms. Where others embrace lies and magical thinking, we accept reality. Acceptance of what is natural and true doesn't seem so valiant or courageous a thing, but we're leaps and bounds ahead of the theists who refuse to acknowledge that existence comes to an end.

I think you guys are awesome, and I'm happy to be a member of this community. Smile
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
RE: Atheists: Facing the unfaceable
(January 23, 2015 at 10:55 am)Strider Wrote: Acceptance of what is natural and true doesn't seem so valiant or courageous a thing, but we're leaps and bounds ahead of the theists who refuse to acknowledge that existence comes to an end.

I don't so much see it like that. For me, I don't consider myself 'brave' or 'courageous' just for being an atheist. It just comes down to what can I physically and mentally accept as truth. I am incapable of believing in a god or afterlife, simply because I see no good reason to do so. It isn't about facing up to anything for me, or even lack of wanting, it's just about what makes sense. I don't think it really goes much deeper than that.

Just my 2 cents anyway, sorry if I put a downer on it.
I'm not an objective observer of my own self (I know, tautology here.)
As far as I can remember, I've never been tempted by the saccarine offers of an afterlife.
I see so many inconsistencies or downright terrifying aspects of living forever in any state. Really, given the sheer numbers of ways eternity can go wrong whether there is or isn't a cosmic dictator, I have absolutely no wish to go on after death. My immortality, like everyone elses whether they understand or not, comes from my children and now grandchildren. My late life will be spent helping and watching them grow and develop and, my dearest hope, enjoy their lives.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying." --Woody Allen
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
Hah! Just jump into a foxhole and see what happens!
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Well said, I'm proud to be part of the community too Smile So many people would rather indulge in a comfortable delusion than face reality. Life has so much more meaning when it is finite.

Go atheists!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I've never believed in an afterlife either. Growing up, in late childhood there came the time when I started thinking about mortality, and was freaked out about it, but I did my coping with that with a materialistic attitude already, even though I didn't really think about being an atheist until I turned 12 or so. So I got used to the idea from the beginning.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I believed in a forever afterlife filled with long walks and deep conversations with an ancient, all knowing being. Then I had my 10th birthday and put away at least this one childish way. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against childish ways. Truth is I look forward to a second childhood very soon when I retire.

Truth is, knowing everything and having perfected every virtue has got to be one boring ass existence. Death is nature's power nap for rebooting consciousness. It probably is better than the alternative.
I have never believed in an afterlife, and I would not find the thought comforting at all. The idea of having to exist forever, no matter what I will be doing, is horrific to me. Can you kill yourself in the afterlife when you've had enough?
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(January 23, 2015 at 11:51 am)robvalue Wrote: I have never believed in an afterlife, and I would not find the thought comforting at all. The idea of having to exist forever, no matter what I will be doing, is horrific to me. Can you kill yourself in the afterlife when you've had enough?

Apparently not. I trust you've seen the movie "Groundhog Day".
Yeah! That's a cool movie. It also shows how people in general have no problem accepting determinism, when it's displayed that way.

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Facing a dilemma Kingpin 129 11367 November 18, 2015 at 3:59 am
Last Post: ignoramus