Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uploading Conciousness to Computer
Uploading Conciousness to Computer
A worm's mind has been mapped and uploaded to a robot. It's probably safe to say that a worm has no conscious though but in principle, you could do the same thing with a person.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology...vi-AA8GMIo

This link was posted by me (a < 30/30 guy) with permission from the moderator rexbeccarox.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
RE: Uploading Conciousness to Computer
(January 28, 2015 at 10:52 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: A worm's mind has been mapped and uploaded to a robot.
That's wicked cool. And I don't usually use 'wicked' like that. Clap
That is amazing.
That's SO cool!

I just want to point out to noobs or any lurkers who might register in the future that ATTF47 sent me a private message asking for permission to post the link, and explaining his motivation for wanting to post it. He read the rules, followed them, and hey! He got permission!

Thank you again, ATTF47 Smile
Small Caviet
Quote:Of course, the brain simulation still isn’t exact - for one, the researchers had to simplify the process that triggers an artificial neuron to fire.

Nevertheless, this is still fucking amazing.
I wonder how far our current technology can take this. Suppose you did this with a higher animal like a mouse. Would you then have a conscious machine?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(January 28, 2015 at 11:46 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: That's SO cool!

I just want to point out to noobs or any lurkers who might register in the future that ATTF47 sent me a private message asking for permission to post the link, and explaining his motivation for wanting to post it. He read the rules, followed them, and hey! He got permission!

Thank you again, ATTF47 Smile

Weird, no ?
Denying the banhammer a victim will frustrate it. Do we want a frustrated banhammer ?

Could be dangerous . . . .
(January 29, 2015 at 12:07 am)AFTT47 Wrote: I wonder how far our current technology can take this. Suppose you did this with a higher animal like a mouse. Would you then have a conscious machine?

I don't think that will ever be possible. Subjective experience can't be programmed, because if it can be traced back to a source (the cogs if you will) then it's an objective triviality.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(January 29, 2015 at 12:07 am)AFTT47 Wrote: I wonder how far our current technology can take this. Suppose you did this with a higher animal like a mouse. Would you then have a conscious machine?

Just thinking about the memory space needed for the mapping.
Human brain has ~100 billion neurons with each neuron makes over 1000 connections.
A mouse's brain is ~0.03% smaller in mass than a human brain.
If we assume the neurons between mouse and human are rougly the same, then a mouse will have 30 million neurons and 30 billion connections in total. You would need a 64bit integer to give each neuron a unique id. You will also need 64bit integers for each connection. So that is 64*(30 million + 30 billion) ~ 240 GB of memory just to store the map. This doesn't included other variables (like activation thresholds) for processing.

Back to your question, we have 1 TB drives now. So we probably can do the same thing with a mouse as with the worm with our current technology.
(January 29, 2015 at 12:32 am)FallentoReason Wrote:

I don't think that will ever be possible. Subjective experience can't be programmed, because if it can be traced back to a source (the cogs if you will) then it's an objective triviality.

I think a sufficiently complex computer could be used to accurately map and model the human mind, even a specific person/personality. After all, it's all just electro-chemical reactions. Our current digital computers won't be able to manage it, but quantum computing...

Yes, I know that quantum computers have been a long time coming and are still at the fringe of computer development, but once EA figures out how to port their crappy games... Big Grin
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Shocked The burden of proof relating to conciousness, free choice and rationality marx_2012 107 33797 December 6, 2014 at 12:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Is reality like a computer? Nightfoot92 32 8871 September 24, 2013 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  conciousness justin 18 3612 February 24, 2013 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  Are we all just part of a computer simulation? Scientists are trying to find that out. TaraJo 40 15183 December 26, 2012 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Will AI ever = conciousness or sentience? Whateverist 77 26552 December 4, 2012 at 12:50 am
Last Post: genkaus