Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we all just part of a computer simulation? Scientists are trying to find that out.
Are we all just part of a computer simulation? Scientists are trying to find that out.
http://www.inquisitr.com/437451/our-univ...ew-theory/
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Are we all just part of a computer simulation? Scientists are trying to find that out.
You know, I wonder what'll happen if it turns out that the answer is "Yes."
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
RE: Are we all just part of a computer simulation? Scientists are trying to find that out.
(December 15, 2012 at 11:19 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: You know, I wonder what'll happen if it turns out that the answer is "Yes."

We try to find out about the world that's running the simulation, I guess.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(December 15, 2012 at 11:13 am)TaraJo Wrote: http://www.inquisitr.com/437451/our-univ...ew-theory/
Erm... I think I'm reading it wrong. Did they really say that 'if we can simulate our universe then our universe must be a simulation, itself'?
Sum ergo sum
Seems to me that is what that guy is saying, too.

I think it's an interesting idea, but proving that it is possible to simulate a universe proves nothing about our own.
Wait for it...wait for it...
Coming soon to a forum near you. A retarded comment from a theist that the simulation is from god.
Unplug me please!
[Image: matrix-keanu-reeves-007.jpg]
(December 15, 2012 at 11:19 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: You know, I wonder what'll happen if it turns out that the answer is "Yes."

I'm going to email whoever's in charge and ask if I can have my life reset back to the restore point just before it went tits-up. That or get my account closed.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
The way the world is, I assume the simulation is running on Windows.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
No we are not a computer simulation. I really hate this crap. What the fuck bothers humans about nature not needing a cognitive hand?

Star Trek superstition is no fucking different than God/Allah/Yahweh crap.

This postulation is simply new age woo in the same stupid anthropomorphism as the superstitious crap in the past.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metaethics Part 1: Cognitivism/Non-cognitivism Disagreeable 24 1526 February 11, 2022 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What would you do if you found out we are all in a sim? ignoramus 46 3580 October 9, 2017 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What do scientists say about existence? Mariosep 186 50218 July 20, 2017 at 10:59 am
  What if the government was run by scientists? WisdomOfTheTrees 63 8791 February 21, 2017 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis Won2blv 83 13763 February 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm
  Proof we Live in a Simulation AFTT47 25 5396 March 7, 2015 at 9:19 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Photons and determinism, part 2 bennyboy 87 16532 March 3, 2015 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Surgenator
  Uploading Conciousness to Computer AFTT47 26 7731 January 29, 2015 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Trying to Understand Many-Worlds Interpretation Better GrandizerII 45 6892 November 29, 2014 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  One thing I find encouraging on here! vodkafan 143 18775 August 28, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Losty