Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A tour of your solar system at the speed of light.
A tour of your solar system at the speed of light.
Enjoy:
http://vimeo.com/117815404
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: A tour of your solar system at the speed of light.
I kind of skipped trough the video, but I like it! It offers perspective!
Very cool.

And just think, even at the speed of light, this video would have to be over 18 hours long to make it out as far as the Voyager 1 spacecraft.
That is SO cool!
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I am struck by how slow light is. Big Grin
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(February 3, 2015 at 1:18 pm)Chas Wrote: I am struck by how slow light is. Big Grin

It is a matter of perspective. I am struck by how far apart things are. The distances in space are almost unimaginable.

It is one of the reasons there is little chance that beings from one solar system will ever visit beings from another one, unless the two solar systems collide.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I am awestruck by how short human life is, such that it would take 1300 human life times for the fastest thing in the universe to cover the minuscule diameter of one Galaxy.
(February 15, 2015 at 2:10 pm)Chuck Wrote: I am awestruck by how short human life is, such that it would take 1300 human life times for the fastest thing in the universe to cover the minuscule diameter of one Galaxy.

I sometimes think of it this way - when looking at pictures of galaxies, they appear as a connected whole, a unified entity held together by its gravity. But from my human perspective, a galaxy is a collection of a huge number of disjoint places and events which are completely isolated from another on the timescale of my lifetime, or even the lifetime of our civilization. I don't know if that is intelligible...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 15, 2015 at 1:18 pm)Pyrrho Wrote:
(February 3, 2015 at 1:18 pm)Chas Wrote: I am struck by how slow light is. Big Grin

It is a matter of perspective. I am struck by how far apart things are. The distances in space are almost unimaginable.

It is one of the reasons there is little chance that beings from one solar system will ever visit beings from another one, unless the two solar systems collide.

It depends on how long-lived the traveling beings are and their motivations. The times involved in the evolution of solar systems and any resultant life forms is what makes the meeting unlikely. One would likely be so far evolved over the other, there would be no significant commonality at all. No reason to meet.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(February 15, 2015 at 7:48 pm)AFTT47 Wrote:
(February 15, 2015 at 1:18 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: It is a matter of perspective. I am struck by how far apart things are. The distances in space are almost unimaginable.

It depends on how long-lived the traveling beings are and their motivations. The times involved in the evolution of solar systems and any resultant life forms is what makes the meeting unlikely. One would likely be so far evolved over the other, there would be no significant commonality at all. No reason to meet.

If I had the technology to visit beings in other solar systems, I certainly would not waste my time visiting earth.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Once, Twice, 20 Times a solar system. Brian37 1 320 November 28, 2020 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Strayan skool system -documentary.. ignoramus 5 545 November 26, 2019 at 10:56 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Simple Truth about Light Haipule 59 5546 July 11, 2019 at 11:22 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Solar power confusion Oldandeasilyconfused 14 6224 May 12, 2012 at 6:58 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Light at 1 Trillion FPS Welsh cake 0 1158 December 18, 2011 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Welsh cake