Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Jesus became a carpenter
How Jesus became a carpenter
Mark 6,3 reads: Is not this man the carpenter, the son of Mary ... etc.

This is the only place in the NT where Jesus is identified as a carpenter.

The Greek word used is 'tekton' .... now 'teknon' means "child"

Replacing tekton with teknon gives us the reading:

Is not this man the child, the son of Mary ....

The context is that this was the first time he'd been back to his home town since childhood. If he'd been the local carpenter they would have recognised him sooner, sort of thing.
RE: How Jesus became a carpenter
Wait, are you saying that the Bible isn't perfect in every way and form?

Are you alleging that the Bible contains -- dare I say it -- mistakes?

I was taught in babble class that Joseph is mentioned to be a carpenter a couple of times(don't remember where exactly), and that it was assumed that his son would learn his trade by default.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I would think carpenters would be middle class, but from what I understand Mary and Joseph were poor.
(February 7, 2015 at 6:56 am)Heywood Wrote: I would think carpenters would be middle class, but from what I understand Mary and Joseph were poor.
Sure, bud, whatever you say.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(February 7, 2015 at 6:56 am)Heywood Wrote: I would think carpenters would be middle class, but from what I understand Mary and Joseph were poor.

Hold up, let me call my buddy who's an expert on carpenters.
Business really went downhill for them when the IKEA in Jericho opened.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 7, 2015 at 7:07 am)Nestor Wrote:
Sure, bud, whatever you say.

I'm saying I am a little skeptical of the claim that Joseph was a carpenter and the claim that Joseph was poor. Individually both claims are reasonable. However when you consider both claims together they are not as reasonable.

(February 7, 2015 at 7:12 am)Alex K Wrote: Business really went downhill for them when the IKEA in Jericho opened.

Joseph would make a killing assembling the stuff for people.

(February 7, 2015 at 7:11 am)Norman Humann Wrote:

Hold up, let me call my buddy who's an expert on carpenters.

Your friend will tell you that 2000 years ago there were very few skilled professions....carpentry was one of them.

Yeah, all that gold and valuable spice the wise guys gave them for xmas really raised them up to the poverty line.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 7, 2015 at 7:15 am)Heywood Wrote: I'm saying I am a little skeptical of the claim that Joseph was a carpenter and the claim that Joseph was poor. Individually both claims are reasonable. However when you consider both claims together they are not as reasonable.
Ohhh I see, you're skeptical about that. But the other possibility is "reasonable." Got it.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Jesus became God. Jehanne 7 889 March 30, 2022 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why i became a protestant Christian Rispri 34 6667 February 16, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Lek
  How Jesus became God. Jehanne 20 3038 April 24, 2016 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Saul of Tarsus became Paul Newtonscat 1 1191 January 16, 2015 at 12:08 pm
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7243 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Jesus the Spiritual Warrior vs Jesus the Sacrificial Lamb Dosaiah 8 7387 December 5, 2010 at 2:47 pm