Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Jesus became God.
How Jesus became God.
Great lectures here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IPAKsGbqcg

Be sure to watch all three!

"Simply amazing!" is all that I can say.  Makes sense to me now that Paul never believed that Jesus was god; instead, he saw Jesus as probably some type of angel who came to earth to become man, a divine being, perhaps, but not "god".  Most likely Jesus was an apocalyptic preacher, common to his day, who started off in Galileo only to end-up getting executed after starting trouble in Jerusalem.

For this thread, contrast the views of the synoptic Gospels with that of John and compare against Paul.  The Gospel of John, for me, is completely unbelievable; it is, rather, ancient storytelling at its best, which is why one sees all of these highly developed stories about Jesus with dialogue that the authors of John could not have possibly known about.
RE: How Jesus became God.
I read the book.  I was unimpressed.
(April 22, 2016 at 11:25 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I read the book.  I was unimpressed.

Why?  That Jesus was a Jewish apocalyptic preacher seems to fit all of the historical evidences.
(April 23, 2016 at 8:36 am)Jehanne Wrote: Why?  That Jesus was a Jewish apocalyptic preacher seems to fit all of the historical evidences.

There are no real histoical or archeological evidences. The Roman's didn't report on him. There's no base for the trial of Jesus happening at all, other than the obvious fact that Pilate was indeed governor of the province. All in all, nothing stands the test of history. Starting with Roman trial procedures up to the grave that was supposedly granted to Jesus. Some traitor being crucified would have been left on his cross to rot as a warning to everyone and certainly not granted the dignity of a burial.

Might have been that a person named Jesus existed. Might also be that several persons like that roamed the land. Palestine wasn't exactly poor on nutters preaching at the time. Ehrman is one of the select few arguinng for a historic Jesus. But he's not a historian but a theologian and his work on analysing the bible and it's veracity features quite a lot of methodical errors.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(April 22, 2016 at 10:31 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Great lectures here:

"Simply amazing!" is all that I can say.  Makes sense to me now that Paul never believed that Jesus was god; instead, he saw Jesus as probably some type of angel who came to earth to become man, a divine being, perhaps, but not "god".  Most likely Jesus was an apocalyptic preacher, common to his day, who started off in Galileo only to end-up getting executed after starting trouble in Jerusalem.

For this thread, contrast the views of the synoptic Gospels with that of John and compare against Paul.  The Gospel of John, for me, is completely unbelievable; it is, rather, ancient storytelling at its best, which is why one sees all of these highly developed stories about Jesus with dialogue that the authors of John could not have possibly known about.
What are you talking about Luke (of the book of Luke and Acts) is Paul's understudy. (we know this because Luke Himself places himself as a disciple of Paul in the book of Acts.) Luke knew nothing of Christ, as he was a servant to a man many think lived in Rome at the time of Christ. to write a gospel of Jesus means Luke studied under someone who knew Jesus was God. That would be Paul. In essence Luke's Gospel is the Gospel of Paul.
(April 23, 2016 at 9:45 am)Drich Wrote: What are you talking about Luke (of the book of Luke and Acts) is Paul's understudy. (we know this because Luke Himself places himself as a disciple of Paul in the book of Acts.) Luke knew nothing of Christ, as he was a servant to a man many think lived in Rome at the time of Christ. to write a gospel of Jesus means Luke studied under someone who knew Jesus was God. That would be Paul. In essence Luke's Gospel is the Gospel of Paul.

And the scientific evidence for that would be what exactly? I mean, as in historical or archeological facts. Not bible proving bible.

Forget that I asked. There is none.
(April 23, 2016 at 9:45 am)Drich Wrote:
(April 22, 2016 at 10:31 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Great lectures here:

What are you talking about Luke (of the book of Luke and Acts) is Paul's understudy. (we know this because Luke Himself places himself as a disciple of Paul in the book of Acts.) Luke knew nothing of Christ, as he was a servant to a man many think lived in Rome at the time of Christ. to write a gospel of Jesus means Luke studied under someone who knew Jesus was God. That would be Paul. In essence Luke's Gospel is the Gospel of Paul.

Most scholars do not hold to this view:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_...p_and_date
(April 23, 2016 at 8:52 am)abaris Wrote:
(April 23, 2016 at 8:36 am)Jehanne Wrote: Why?  That Jesus was a Jewish apocalyptic preacher seems to fit all of the historical evidences.

The Roman's didn't report on him.

That's true, which means that the Romans of his day did not see him as being significant, but just another Jewish loon.
(April 23, 2016 at 10:43 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(April 23, 2016 at 8:52 am)abaris Wrote: The Roman's didn't report on him.

That's true, which means that the Romans of his day did not see him as being significant, but just another Jewish loon.

Put two and two together the evidence for jesus is so damning the guy didn't even exist. But even then 
this is bronze age a lot of people were claiming to be prophets to some sort of god and claim the world is going to end.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(April 23, 2016 at 10:51 am)dyresand Wrote: But even then this is bronze age a lot of people were claiming to be prophets to some sort of god and claim the world is going to end.

Bronze age was over for about a thousand years by then.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Jesus became God. Jehanne 7 887 March 30, 2022 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why i became a protestant Christian Rispri 34 6628 February 16, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Lek
  How Jesus became a carpenter Newtonscat 63 8391 February 10, 2015 at 11:56 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Saul of Tarsus became Paul Newtonscat 1 1190 January 16, 2015 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7196 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12318 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6681 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad
  Jesus the Spiritual Warrior vs Jesus the Sacrificial Lamb Dosaiah 8 7370 December 5, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist