Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In before...
In before...
I want to go ahead & take a second, as an atheist, to publicly denounce this waste of skin.

[Image: pmv3ftdsd5hggdzwb0ef.jpg]

Quote:Three Muslim students were shot and killed in an apartment complex in Chapel Hill, North Carolina Tuesday night by a 46-year-old man. Two of the victims, Yusor Mohammad, 21, of Chapel Hill, and Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, 19, were sisters. Mohammad's husband, Deah Shaddy Barakat, 23, who she had just married in December, was also killed.

The alleged shooter is Craig Stephen Hicks, 46. WRAL reports that he turned himself into police immediately after shooting all three of the students in the head. His motive so far is unclear; according to several reports, he'd posted about atheism on his Facebook page.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
RE: In before...
Alrighty, the motives are unknown so they're just going to blame it on him being an atheist for now. Gotcha.
Sounds more like Islamaphobia to me.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
I'm afraid any sort of rational discussion of his motives will be lost in the flurry of sensational headlines.

As per the usual.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I don't care what the motivation is, you don't kill people. If he did it because he was an atheist, he was wrong to.

See that, theists? See how I didn't just concoct a suite of reasons for why he couldn't possibly be an atheist? Ah, who am I kidding, you guys don't learn lessons.

That said, we don't have the full story yet, so now's not the time to come to any conclusions at all. Let's just be patient, legitimate human beings and not feel the need to argue with the inevitable theist "ahas!" for now; after all, they'd be commenting without all of the facts, making their conclusions ill informed.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Cops are saying that it was a personal dispute over a parking space.

Far more important than religion but still not worth killing for.
What I really want to know is what happened to his neck? He looks, as if someone painted a face on a thumb...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I think it's important as an atheist community to tackle this head on, and condemn this behaviour in other atheists, rather than running away from it and taking the "no true scotsman" mentality. That would be hypocritical, since atheism often criticises religous people for refusing to comment on the radicals.

Murder is murder, disliking a religion doesn't give you carte blanche to murder innocent people. My thoughts and condolences go out to the victims and their families.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

This morning the local news repeated more than once that he was an atheist. I don't know if they thought he killed the women because he was an atheist or not.

The young women did nothing to deserve death and the person who killed them is a horrible human being.

It sounds like Islamophobia to me also.
(February 11, 2015 at 12:23 pm)NuclearJaguar Wrote: I think it's important as an atheist community to tackle this head on, and condemn this behaviour in other atheists, rather than running away from it and taking the "no true scotsman" mentality. That would be hypocritical, since atheism often criticises religous people for refusing to comment on the radicals.

Murder is murder, disliking a religion doesn't give you carte blanche to murder innocent people. My thoughts and condolences go out to the victims and their families.

I don't really see how we could possibly pull a "no true scotsman" though. The guy is an atheist, as much as Stalin or Bill Gates or me. There's no denying that. I'm more concerned about what the hell motivated him to take the lifes of three average innocent humans. If he held violent beliefs, not only anti-theistic beliefs but anti-theist beliefs (against theists themselves), that's a far clearer motivation for his actions than simply "i don't believe god exists".
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buy the new US military rifle before the troops get them onlinebiker 35 1949 April 25, 2022 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  New Iowa Law Restricts Abortion To Before Most Women Know They're Pregnant The Industrial Atheist 164 24145 May 20, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  ‘I’m going somewhere wonderful’: man texts wife before suicide Foxaèr 10 2941 July 17, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Planned Parenthood Chief Testifies Before Congress brewer 30 5529 October 17, 2015 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Wesolowski found dead before trial Longhorn 9 2419 August 28, 2015 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: abaris
  So how long before the zombies take our cities? Drich 22 3040 October 2, 2014 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: Drich