Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 1:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannibalism
Cannibalism
What are the moral arguments against cooking up and eating somebody who's already dead?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Cannibalism
Nil so far as I know. Babies nom nom nom
[Image: Blackadder_II_-_Money.jpg]
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
I'm not aware of any, but I'd bet one of the members of the Ancient Metaphysical Wankers club tried to come up with one. Try Aristotle.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(February 16, 2015 at 11:37 am)Nestor Wrote: What are the moral arguments against cooking up and eating somebody who's already dead?

If you don't believe in any negative karma from this,
it's mostly for social order and norms. Including not having to explain to other people why you would want to try this, unless you are scientist studying it or if you are forced to in order not to starve to death.

Why not eat your hair, toenails, dead skin or menstrual fluid for protein? Why not drink your urine for minerals (as some people claim is medicinal)?

If people stick with social norms, then people who really have criminal issues with serious mental delusions or sociopathic disorders can obviously stand out and get help who really need help if they are a danger to themselves or others.

If everyone just did "whatever" because we can, then it is harder to identify which people really don't have a realistic healthy sense of boundaries and respect for norms so they will respect other people's sensibilities and not impose in abusive or delusional ways.
I don't really understand what morals are and seldom use the word. From my views concerning ethics I'd say no objections per se, except if it's disturbing to the grieving next of kin. It would be unethical to inflict additional emotional pain for them if not absolutely necessary. If you are starving otherwise, that overrides these concerns though.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

In animal husbandry it has been demonstrated that feeding animals of their own kind can transmit disease. It has also been demonstrated 'kuru' is transmitted via human cannibalism.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

If the deceased and family are cool with it, I don't see any problem ethically. I don't give a monkeys if someone eats me after I'm dead. Well, wait, I want my body to go to medical science so they can eat the bits that aren't any use for research.

I did wonder about diseases, sounds like there are some problems as vorlon says.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Kuru is particularly unpleasant.

So too CJD, scrapie, mad cow.

I think cannibalism is best left to those life or death/survival instances. Without a good reason to do it (like starving to death) it is not worth the risk.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 16, 2015 at 11:37 am)Nestor Wrote: What are the moral arguments against cooking up and eating somebody who's already dead?

What? Should I not be doing that?

Would explain why the council keeps bitching at me, I thought I was just picking up fresh product off public land.
I think we tend to treat beings better when we don't consider them food.Banning Human meat helps keep people from killing other Humans to eat them.

Morals can be sketchy, but if you can think of an objective reason to do, or not to do, something then you have a better guideline for your actions.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A case for cannibalism in society liam 83 29353 September 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: liam