Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 1:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's up from OHIO!
Wink 
What's up from OHIO!
What's up everyone? Just figured I would make an intro thread here, that's usually the S.O.P. for joining a new forum. I guess it gives those who care a chance to introduce themselves to me as I introduce myself. So a little about me... I'll keep it short.

I grew up in a semi-religious household. My mom and grandma are Catholic and Protestant respectively. They really only talked about god when I asked them about god. They sort of always just believed what they believed and never really pushed it on me TOO MUCH, aside from making me take my first communion or whatever the hell it is, and making me take Public School Religious classes. And I think those things were more out of tradition than an actual attempt to instill some sort of religious belief in me, as weird as that sounds.

My grandfather is more of a deist, he thinks the Bible is a load of BS. He thinks there is "something up there" but does not really know what that something is, and even admits he can't know for sure that there even is anything.

My dad was the one who really pushed it on me. And him being a complete hypocritical alcoholic, drug addict, racist bigot but somehow still a good Christian pushed me away from religion more than anything. Believe it or not, even as a young child I picked up on this blatant hypocrisy. Kids are not stupid, you know.

I suppose I wish I could say I grew up in a secular household, but that would be pretty far from the truth. Though I certainly did not grow up in a Westboro Baptist church type of of home either, and hey, thank god for that. Worship (large)Tongue

When I finally came out as an atheist, my grandparents honestly couldn't have cared less, my mom was slightly disappointed and my dad assured me that I was going down the wrong path, which was funny. I always had doubts about god, even when I was about 5 years old I remember thinking that I was only talking to myself when I prayed. I then went through a stage when I was a little older that I believed in god a little more, out of fear more than anything, thanks to my father's doing.

Then around 14 I realized that I did not agree with the Christian version of what god was, and I think I was sort of teetering on agnosticism at that point. I went back and forth between being agnostic and a deist for a while until finally around 18 I became completely sure that I was an atheist.

So now being an atheist is something that is important to me. I love discussing atheism and religion and how it affects our society and the individuals in it. I love a healthy religious debate and the type of deep-thinking it can inspire in somebody. I don't ever expect to "convert" anyone, but even to get someone to question something small about what they believe or to get someone to even consider a point I have made is a beautiful thing. I hope to live in an atheist world one day. I'm a firm supporter of people being able to believe in whatever they wish. But I just hope one day people will see religion for what it is, an obsolete operating system. An outdated way of attempting to understand the world. And sure, humans will always find something to fight and kill over, but without religion in the picture, that's one less excuse we'll have to act like assholes. I hope I kept this short. Oops.

-Delysid
RE: What's up from OHIO!
What's up!!!

Welcome to AF. Hope you enjoy it. Good to hear you weren't indoctrinated too badly. And also that you were able to think for yourself. That's often the intended consequences of that indoctrination, that you aren't supposed to question things and figure out what's real.

I hope you stick around and join in. If you're a Browns or Bungles fan, we'll have words at some point.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome

If you like discussion, you've come to the right place.
Thanks guys!

To SteelCurtain

I was born and raised in Cleveland, still reside in Cleveland! While I am absolutely ignorant to the world of sports, besides maybe MMA, I always love to see the Cleveland teams on a winning streak as opposed to a losing streak! It makes being around my fellow Clevelanders much more pleasant Big Grin
Welcome. My grandparents live in Parma, and my uncle down in Mansfield, the gem of NCO.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Welcome Delysid! Hi
[Image: dc52deee8e6b07186c04ff66a45fd204.jpg]
Nice c172!!! It is a small world after all.

And Kitty, I can't see the picture you posted! But your avatar is makin muh lil ole heart melt! How cute.
Hey, there.

You know, nothing in the first part of this...

Quote:And him being a complete hypocritical alcoholic, drug addict, racist bigot but somehow still a good Christian

precludes the second part.
(February 28, 2015 at 5:52 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Hey, there.

You know, nothing in the first part of this...

Quote:And him being a complete hypocritical alcoholic, drug addict, racist bigot but somehow still a good Christian

precludes the second part.

Depends.
Welcome, Delysid.

I have a friend who ended up in Cleveland because of work. She's an aerospace engineer at NASA's Glenn Spaceflight Center. She loves the job but wishes it was elsewhere. She doesn't like the cold.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello from Ohio cl0udburn 14 3258 July 13, 2013 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Newbie from Ohio Wonderland 15 2735 May 1, 2013 at 9:35 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Greetings from Ohio Kyle 21 3590 May 13, 2011 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: A Dead Relative
  Hello from Ohio USA kkaplan 7 2495 March 9, 2009 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: Mark