Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:51 am

Poll: If you had to bet, what would your bet be?
This poll is closed.
Mayweather Win by KO
0%
0 0%
Mayweather Win by Decision
57.14%
4 57.14%
Pacquiao Win by KO
28.57%
2 28.57%
Pacquiao Win by Decision
14.29%
1 14.29%
Too close to call... Draw!
0%
0 0%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayweather Vs Pacquiao
Mayweather Vs Pacquiao
So I know there's not a lot of boxing fans on these boards, but surely some of you must have some opinions on the upcoming fight.

For those of you living under a rock here's what I'm talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Maywe...y_Pacquiao

Who's going to win? I think it's a tough one to call. Both fighters have very good reasons to suggest they have the edge over the other.

If I were to break those reasons down, here's what I'd say (pretty lengthy):

So what do you guys think? Manny or Floyd. Be sure to hit up the poll.

Please no "who cares" posts in this thread too. I'd actually like some decent discussion here if anyone cares for it.
RE: Mayweather Vs Pacquiao
Manny is smoking hot, hot, hot.

Hope he isn't disfigured or maimed in any way. It would be a tragedy.

If that means I hope he flattens the other guy, it looks like I want him to flatten the other guy.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I haven't really watched boxing since Lennox Lewis was getting his ass kicked by Vitali Klitschko but ended up winning because of a serious cut. I've never been so let down at the outcome of a sporting event, and I never really got back into boxing.

That being said, this fight (really, the version that would have been fucking amazing 6 years ago) is something I am very excited about.

The matchup is not just touted because these two fighters are the best. Undoubtedly, they are the best fighters in the last 20 years. But this matchup has been desired so much because the fighters' style suits the other so well, and for different reasons.

Mayweather dictates a fight by letting the other fighter feel like he's in control. Pacquiao punches so much, and punches from the best side (southpaws, FTW!!!) There are so many other reasons, but to avoid typing for 20 mins, I'm just going to make my prediction.

Pretty Boy Floyd wins by KO late. (I know I voted for decision, but I changed outta my mind, dammit) Manny throws too many punches, and leaves a window open. Mayweather doesn't miss.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 5, 2015 at 12:23 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: I haven't really watched boxing since Lennox Lewis was getting his ass kicked by Vitali Klitschko but ended up winning because of a serious cut.

At the risk of going off topic, I feel I've gotta fight Lewis' corner here Big Grin

Lewis was way over the hill, practically an old man, and Vitali was in his prime, and yet Vitali still couldn't beat him. Lewis landed some incredibly clean shots on Vitali, and like he said himself, he did ridiculous damage to his face. It's not like it was caused by a butt. Lewis won fair and square.

But yeah, agree with everything else you said.

Yeah, I thought about the possible Mayweather decision outcome a lot, and just came to the conclusion that anyone who leaned towards that outcome is perhaps just not wanting to commit to the KO and being safe. The only way I envision Floyd winning is if he knocks Manny out. I just cannot see any way of him overcoming Manny's work-rate to win on points. They're worlds apart in this department. He would have to do something seriously big to throw Manny off his rhythm so much to the point where it would allow him to win rounds against him. It's not impossible but I don't see it happening.

But I do think Floyd is probably the more likely to win if they decide to just go to war. Actually I think this is the most likely outcome. I can see Manny coming in strong very early, showing his speed, and I can see Floyd getting frustrated. I think that frustration will force Floyd to come out of his defensive shell, and while this will increase the chance of himself getting hit, I dare say he probably does have more in his own locker in terms of absolute boxing class to win a straight up punch fest.

On the other hand it could just become incredibly cagey, and be a bit of a boring fight. My biggest fear is if Manny fights a defensive fight of his own, scared of the counter-punch. I think Manny has to get in and out fast, I think whoever wins will be decided on how well Manny does this.
(March 5, 2015 at 12:35 am)SeanBean Wrote: At the risk of going off topic, I feel I've gotta fight Lewis' corner here Big Grin

Lewis was way over the hill, practically an old man, and Vitali was in his prime, and yet Vitali still couldn't beat him. Lewis landed some incredibly clean shots on Vitali, and like he said himself, he did ridiculous damage to his face. It's not like it was caused by a butt. Lewis won fair and square.

But yeah, agree with everything else you said.
Last bit about this. Big Grin
I 100% agree that fight should have been stopped. You could see Klitschko's eyeball through his eyebrow. Lewis won, no argument from me. But he was getting his ass kicked.

It was disappointing to me because I wanted more fight. It was a disappointing end to what was really a fantastic fight.
(March 5, 2015 at 12:35 am)SeanBean Wrote: On the other hand it could just become incredibly cagey, and be a bit of a boring fight. My biggest fear is if Manny fights a defensive fight of his own, scared of the counter-punch. I think Manny has to get in and out fast, I think whoever wins will be decided on how well Manny does this.

This is the thought that led me to think Mayweather would win in a decision.

I don't think Manny will ever forget this moment:
[Image: 1109768082.jpg]

He probably doesn't remember this:
[Image: news_photo_31896_1355035098_630.jpg]

And because of this, Manny will play it safe and box defensively. Which would lead to anti-climax and I think a win by decision for Mayweather.

I think Mayweather just has to do what he does already. Manny has to be perfect. I think that plays in Floyd's favor.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Floyd hasn't had anything but decisions in 4 years and Manny, for all the talk of his power etc, hasn't knocked someone out since 2009. I'm going to guess that this goes to decision, probably for mayweather.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Playing safe is simply not Manny's nature, regardless of past incidences. In fact I think this is a strength against Mayweather, who has made a living off of heavy footed anvil swinging robots.

I predict that Mayweather gets exposed. I'm going to pay to watch, but I'd rather shell out money to watch Pacquiao/Marquez V. Not that it means much, but I can't help but wonder what the catch weight will be for this fight.

Although it's been ages and it's always dangerous to compare fighters with results against common opponents, I can't get De La Hoya out of my head looking forward to this fight. I still think Mayweather's 'retirement' was simply a ploy to duck a rematch.

My head tells me Manny unanimous in 12, but I voted Manny KO because that's what I'm rooting for.
I haven't paid attention to boxing since Sugar Shay and Kostya Tszyu were in the ring.

Pacquiao FTW!
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(March 5, 2015 at 2:16 am)CapnAwesome Wrote: Floyd hasn't had anything but decisions in 4 years and Manny, for all the talk of his power etc, hasn't knocked someone out since 2009.

That's true on the face of it, but I don't think many people would argue Pacquiao hits hard and has the ability to knock people out, more so than Mayweather. You have to bear in mind the kind of fighters he's been fighting, since Cotto (who himself is a pretty good fighter) Manny has fought some real tough fighters who don't get knocked out easily. I mean, Bradley, Marquez, Rios, Algieri and Clottey have never been knocked out. Mosely has only been knocked out once and I think we all know what a veteran he is, and Margarito twice, but Manny's dominating performance was as good as a KO in my opinion. I think it's a completely unfair comparison to bring the last time they got a KO into it.

Also, the last person Mayweather KO'd was Ortiz. Yeah, did you see what happened in that fight? Mayweather only KO'd him because of Ortiz's stupidity. I wouldn't say it was an actual, clean knockout.

In case you didn't see it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieJPRhlkVh4

Aside from that the last person Floyd KO'd was Hatton, even further back than Manny in 2007, and it took him 10 rounds to do so. It only took Manny 2 to accomplish the same feat.

So taking all this into account I think it's pretty obvious who you'd favour in terms of power.

Quote:I'm going to guess that this goes to decision, probably for mayweather.

Styles make fights. If, and only if, Manny fights an unusually defensive fight, will this go to the scorecards. There's just no way that's gonna happen in my opinion. You can't change a fighters style after so many years. Given the sheer volume of punches that Manny throws either Mayweather will exploit an opening (he is the best counter puncher in the game after all), or Manny will just be too much to handle and probably get the KO himself.

If the fight did go to a decision, I have a hard time imagining how Mayweather's defensive style would gain points from the judges considering the volume punching coming in from Manny. Pac-Man's style is tailor made to catch the judge's eye, Floyd is notorious for being 'boring' often times.

I'm with you on pretty much all of this Cato. Before the De La Hoya fight Manny was the underdog, but he gave him a boxing masterclass. I've never been so blown away by a fighter. It was after that fight that I think most people realised just how good Pacquiao is.

I think you also touch on a point that most people overlook.

Floyd picks safe fights. Fights he knows he can win. Marquez is a notorious bogey fighter for Manny and despite Pac winning 2 times before (albeit on questionable decisions) he still gave him another match. Manny doesn't duck fighters whereas Floyd absolutely does. It was a complete joke that Mayweather gave a rematch to Maidana when he should have fought Kahn. Now, I despise Kahn, I'm one of his biggest critics, but Floyd knew that fight would be difficult to win, so he didn't take it.

And why would Mayweather find a fight against Kahn difficult? Because of Kahn's speed. Speed which Manny Pacquiao similarly has.

You look at most of Floyd's opponents recently, they've just been brawlers and tough come-forward fighters. Those that have some speed to rival his own will give him trouble, I come back to the Zab Judah fight as a perfect example of this.

But yeah, I think Manny has Mayweather in all kinds of trouble, I really do. I will say this though, if Floyd does end up winning convincingly, he has to go down as one of the all time greats. No doubt about it. But something tells me it won't happen for him. Which will be a shame, because we all know what a nice guy he is /sarcasm.
(March 5, 2015 at 12:59 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: And because of this, Manny will play it safe and box defensively. Which would lead to anti-climax and I think a win by decision for Mayweather.

I'm not so sure. Like I said, it's not so easy for fighters to just change the way they fight. Even after all the defensive work Amir Kahn has done for example, there's still flashes in his recent fights where you can see he wants to jump in and scrap. Once that's in a guy's nature I don't think it's possible to take it out.

I would be really surprised, and ofcourse disappointed if Manny boxed overly defensive.

Ofcourse, I do think Manny will box and move, and use the ring to his advantage. I don't think he'll run away though.

Quote:I think Mayweather just has to do what he does already. Manny has to be perfect. I think that plays in Floyd's favor.

I agree with you 100% here. And this is the overriding thought that makes my logically thinking boxing mind edge towards Mayweather.

But god damnit I want the Pac-Man to show up!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Floyd Mayweather vs Connor McGregor ErGingerbreadMandude 68 12935 August 31, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: bennyboy