Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When in Rome, DON'T DO THIS!
When in Rome, DON'T DO THIS!
A couple of sharp tool ladies said they didn't think it was that serious carving their initials into the COLOSSEUM! Yea, that is bad enough but they were also sharp enough to take a selfie! Come on Californians, you can represent better than this when overseas.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/08/american-to...ok-selfie/
RE: When in Rome, DON'T DO THIS!
Should have tattooed 'Vandal' across their foreheads.
I don't think it deserves that, but some jail time and a huge fine. How fucking stupid. That would be like saying "What's the big deal, we only carved our initials in Tut's mask." Fucking retards!
It's not like Italians don't do it either... In fact, they usually do worse.

If I was in my hometown right now, I could snap a couple of photos of some buildings of the old town... Which by the way is UNESCO World Heritage
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Every village has their idiots. I went to Washington DC once. Out of the many things I did there, none of them involved putting my initials on historic monuments!
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Well I think religious nuts take it too far when there are merely gestures, and or protests done with private property owned by the protestor. That kid in PA on the statue of Jesus didn't damage it, it just pissed people off. I have a picture somewhere of me at the LA Observatory sticking my finger up the nose of a statue of James Dean. I think it is also stupid to get pissed at blasphemy like the cross in a jar of urine, or depictions of Mo, or even flag burning.

Common law prevents you from destroying things you do not own. But that should not include blasphemy laws or dissenting protests where no one is damaging property they don't own.
I was there just a few months ago, and I completely forgot to sign it as well.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 9, 2015 at 8:45 am)Brian37 Wrote: Well I think religious nuts take it too far when there are merely gestures, and or protests done with private property owned by the protestor. That kid in PA on the statue of Jesus didn't damage it, it just pissed people off. I have a picture somewhere of me at the LA Observatory sticking my finger up the nose of a statue of James Dean. I think it is also stupid to get pissed at blasphemy like the cross in a jar of urine, or depictions of Mo, or even flag burning.

Common law prevents you from destroying things you do not own. But that should not include blasphemy laws or dissenting protests where no one is damaging property they don't own.

Totally agree.

As for these "scratchers", maybe one day a method of recording events will be discovered so that physical marking will no longer be needed...
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Humans will always "scratch" legally and ignorantly. Our species is tribal and just like lions we piss on trees to mark our territory. We don't like seeing other labels as equal and that is where the destructive side of our evolution comes from. These stupid girls certainly did not do it with the same intent as Isis, but it is still coming from a place of vanity.
I didn't see it happen, but the missus and I were in Athens when a USian tourist was nicked for hammering bits off of the Library of Hadrian.

Fuxxake, yanks - don't you lot ever go anywhere and just look at stuff?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson