Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wes Morriston is awesome
Wes Morriston is awesome
Wes Morriston is a liberal Christian and philosopher best know for criticizing arguments for the existence of god. He has an online collection of papers here. In " Doubts about the kalam cosmological argument" he criticizes the KCA. Some large sample to give you a taste. It's good stuff.

It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
RE: Wes Morriston is awesome
At least it's not Neil DeCrappe Tyson.
And the dumbest comment of the day goes to:
(March 23, 2015 at 12:57 am)Delicate Wrote: At least it's not Neil DeCrappe Tyson.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(March 23, 2015 at 1:16 am)Nestor Wrote: And the dumbest comment of the day goes to:
(March 23, 2015 at 12:57 am)Delicate Wrote: At least it's not Neil DeCrappe Tyson.

About time you shared the award with someone else for a change, eh Nestor?
(March 23, 2015 at 6:09 am)Delicate Wrote:
(March 23, 2015 at 1:16 am)Nestor Wrote: And the dumbest comment of the day goes to:

About time you shared the award with someone else for a change, eh Nestor?
Are you a poe? You say your religious views are "no idea," but you sound suspiciously like a fundie Republican to me. I've never heard of a non-Republitard who would say something like that about a guy who's done so much to popularize science. Oh well, at least you're not William Lame Craig.
Please don't make this thread about Delicate . That idiot hasn't added anything to this thread.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
(March 19, 2015 at 10:03 pm)Pizz-atheist Wrote: Wes Morriston is a liberal Christian and philosopher best know for criticizing arguments for the existence of god. He has an online collection of papers here. In " Doubts about the kalam cosmological argument" he criticizes the KCA. Some large sample to give you a taste. It's good stuff.

This guy does sound cool. It's refreshing to see a theist be critical of these rationalizations instead of hiding behind them.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 23, 2015 at 5:12 pm)robvalue Wrote:
(March 19, 2015 at 10:03 pm)Pizz-atheist Wrote: Wes Morriston is a liberal Christian and philosopher best know for criticizing arguments for the existence of god. He has an online collection of papers here. In " Doubts about the kalam cosmological argument" he criticizes the KCA. Some large sample to give you a taste. It's good stuff.

This guy does sound cool. It's refreshing to see a theist be critical of these rationalizations instead of hiding behind them.
I remember on a philosophy and atheism podcast he calls himself a troublemaker, says it's his job to burn away the chaff, and he's not good at arguing for the old time religion. Big Grin
http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=6423

We need more theists capable of keeping their logic circuits engaged while discussing religion. Otherwise they just keep swinging imaginary baseball bats at us and wondering why we don't fall over.

Of course, I find it hard to see how someone capable of doing so is still a theist.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I know nothing about this philosopher, though he seems like an intriguing thinker, but what on Satan's brown earth could possess him to call himself a Christian if...
(March 23, 2015 at 5:37 pm)Pizz-atheist Wrote: he's not good at arguing for the old time religion.
?

What would it mean for me to say, "Yes, I'm an Orphic but I'm not good at arguing for the old time religion," or (if this is his POV), "As a philosopher, I want to demonstrate that my commitment to tradition lacks any rational basis"?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Life is awesome - argumentum ad populum Vaginasaur 382 171389 December 12, 2011 at 7:50 am
Last Post: houseofcantor