Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You say what?
You say what?
I was wondering if anyone ran into a weird talk or situation like this...

A neighbor of mine (a nice one) who is a Jehovah's Witness was in the hallway of my apartment complex... She has breast cancer and having many problems. Her 30 year old son has a very severe case of Skitzophrenia (spell error sorry). She told me... and I almost fell to the ground in shock. That the reason for all the illnesses in the family was due to her husband's apostate behavior before she had her son... She was told this by a "Elder" or Council they have. Now, I have studied the Jehovah's Witnesses and talked and had studies in the very far past about it and read many of there "AWAKE!" or "Watchtower" publications.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this sort of behavior of the JW's?
NO WHERE have I ever seen it in there literature or anything.

I just wanted to give her a hug and tell her everything is not his fault and that this is a medical problem. She is very "devout" per say but she is really open (unlike most I have met) about talking with secular topics. She of course is very conservative in nature (not politically cause they don't participate in that) but suprisingly she is by far the nicest person in this town.

So has anyone from ANY religion ever heard this load of bull?
And if you have any way I can comfort her without pushing my super views on religion? I drive her to the food bank once a month and help her carry groceries but feel I should do more.

Thanks
Vox
RE: You say what?
So their answer was "so you have cancer, guess that was your husbands fault"

Why not.

Everything else is our fault.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(March 17, 2015 at 1:54 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: So their answer was "so you have cancer, guess that was your husbands fault"

Why not.

Everything else is our fault.

ROFLOL
That made me laugh so hard. It just suprised me cause even some of the more extreme faiths aren't like blaming cancer on a spouse's choice of life.
Never be surprised by anything that comes out of the mouth of a jw.
(March 17, 2015 at 2:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Never be surprised by anything that comes out of the mouth of a jw.

Except when it's: oh, you're right, there is no God! How could I not see how this is all a childish web of lies!

Then be surprised.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

According to one of the local priests, most maladies and other problems can be assigned to an object in the house related to the occult.

"It's your husband's fault you have cancer" is a pretty shitty thing to say to someone. They likely wouldn't stick to that belief if it happened to them.
(March 17, 2015 at 2:23 pm)Norman Humann Wrote: According to one of the local priests, most maladies and other problems can be assigned to an object in the house related to the occult.

Is it this one?
[Image: DRB3.jpg]
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 17, 2015 at 12:45 pm)Vox Populi Wrote: So has anyone from ANY religion ever heard this load of bull?

It's not a JW thing. You hear and read that a lot from other denominations as well. Quite recently we had some raving christian here, who tried to convince us that god is punishing by proxy, using rapists and killers to get the job done. And not for some personal failure, mind you, but because of something your ancestors had done. That way it's even god's will to get toddlers brutally raped and killed.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
It is just crazy crap. Like I never even heard that before or from other denom. but now that I know it just baffles me.
(March 17, 2015 at 2:18 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(March 17, 2015 at 2:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Never be surprised by anything that comes out of the mouth of a jw.

Except when it's: oh, you're right, there is no God! How could I not see how this is all a childish web of lies!

Then be surprised.

I've never heard that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things atheists say: Goatherders Data 45 1801 September 18, 2023 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5408 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2325 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Three in five British adults say miracles are possible zebo-the-fat 15 1989 September 30, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: GUBU
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20246 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  What the Bible Does NOT Say About Premarital Sex Rhondazvous 30 6405 January 25, 2016 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Say it ain't so, Fappy Whateverist 16 3663 November 15, 2015 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A few choice words id say. dyresand 50 9795 October 9, 2015 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  The "Stupid things Christians say" Thread KUSA 50 8790 July 15, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  A picture can say a thousand words. dyresand 10 2416 June 9, 2015 at 11:40 am
Last Post: dyresand