Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Detoxing Thread
Lightbulb 
My Detoxing Thread
Coming from where I have, I've got a few questions as I try to sort out my world-view. Google hasn't been any real help, maybe someone here could help me out, or at least point me to resources.

1.) Were the ancient Jewish people actually slaves in Egypt?
2.) Did the ancient Jewish people actually carry out the genocides described in the Bible?
RE: My Detoxing Thread
I don't know much about Jewish history, but good luck in your detox Smile
My first thoughts based on what I've heard is no / not nearly to the extent described in the bible. I remember people saying the whole massive group of Jews living in the desert for however long is entirely unsupported.

If I think of any sources to back that, I'll get back to you. That is just from memory.

On a hilarious side note though, the bible openly admits god interferes with the free will of the Pharaoh in charge of the slaves (in the story of course.)
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 1, 2015 at 1:15 am)Brometheus Wrote: Coming from where I have, I've got a few questions as I try to sort out my world-view. Google hasn't been any real help, maybe someone here could help me out, or at least point me to resources.

1.) Were the ancient Jewish people actually slaves in Egypt?
2.) Did the ancient Jewish people actually carry out the genocides described in the Bible?

No and no. The most detailed records we have frim bronze-early iron is the Egyptians, and no where do they record any sort of en masse enslavement, and they don't mention a Jewish culture till the time of around the 8th-7th century. Also the archeological evidence does not support a genocide in the region of Isreal at that time and nor does it support the notion of mass migrating people from that time.
What it does suggest is that Jewish culture descended from cultures around it, not becoming truly monotheistic until after the BabylonIan exile.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Bam! Pretend Jews to go with pinata boy.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
No and no.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
A good rule of thumb to everyone is that if the bible says something, you can safely ignore it. Real history books will tell you what you need to know.

Index of my best videos
Wasn't there this awkward scene not too long ago where an israeli official was going on about how his people built the pyramids, and the egyptian's reaction was like, erm, no you didn't?!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Moses:  'Pharoah - let my people go!'

Pharoah:  'Erm....which people, exactly?'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Wait! Does that mean moses didn't part the sea with his magic stick?

Angry  Darn
I reject your reality and substitute my own!