Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Recommendations
Thumbs Up 
Book Recommendations
Before de-converting, everything I knew about the actual process of evolution, was probably from a Chick Tract. Of course, the gene was depicted as being 'modified' by a bolt of lightning - which from reading the Greatest Show on Earth is clearly a Straw-Man argument.

But I need information about the mechanics of evolution and origins of DNA. Does anybody know of good books on these topics? I have 2 recently emptied book-shelves to fill so please, refer away. Thanks
RE: Book Recommendations
I'm not sure about the books, but check out talkorigins.org Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Darwin's "Origin of the species" couldn't hurt.
It's on my reading list so I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for (I have a feeling it's more about general evolution) but I've heard good things about Jerry Coyne's Why Evolution is True as well as Dawkins' other books like The Blind Watchmaker, which I enjoyed, or The Selfish Gene, which I have also not read yet.

Other resources that you might think are useful or interesting:

Berkley's Evolution Site
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/home.php

A paper on the origin and evolution of DNA
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK6360/

Or you can go on Amazon and find a good, reputable author or book on evolution and use the "recommended titles" feature to find others.  That's what usually gets me in trouble on Amazon. Tongue

Also, google is your friend.  
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Book Recommendations
Can't go wrong with the OG himself...

Dr. James Watson's
DNA: The Secret of Life
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin An Old Science book from 1650 Fake Messiah 19 2837 June 10, 2016 at 3:52 am
Last Post: abaris
  Bug-killing book pages clean murky drinking water zebo-the-fat 6 1792 August 17, 2015 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: Kitty Galore
  Map proves Portuguese discovered Australia: new book pocaracas 15 5153 February 20, 2013 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Magic Pudding
  Christian school text book teaches Loch Ness Monster real. downbeatplumb 30 10829 June 26, 2012 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  New Hardcover Evolution Book Based Upon Junior Skeptic Gawdzilla 3 1140 October 3, 2011 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Critique of new creationist book on "Origins" Secularone 3 1919 November 3, 2009 at 6:20 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Darwin Audio Book (Read by Dawkins) Kyuuketsuki 4 3237 May 14, 2009 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet