Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moral Compass
Moral Compass
Skip to the TL;DR if ya want, inc wall of text thingy:

Hello all, first post. Please excuse how chopped up this is written.

I've been awfully silent about my atheism with my religious parents and family, but seeing as I still rent out at home, the subject invariably comes up a lot. Recently I've been voicing myself, and I keep proving myself to not be a strong debater. Not that the odds are against me at all.

It's me, a 21 year old, vs, on average, 46-50 year-olds with more than double the experience than I in their particular religion. I've read the bible through and through plenty of times, but I haven't got a shred of it memorized, and I don't give it much of a passing thought now that I've cast off the veil of superstition.

In any case, my parents hold a bible meeting every Thursday night. I never give it a second thought, as most of the time they speak of rather harmless subjects, but tonight I overhead something that just made me feel sick. I so so so so very want to burst into the living room where the meeting is held and debunk every last stream of words coming out of their mouths. I KNOW what they're saying is wrong and disturbing on so many levels. I want to give them examples as to why this is. But knowing me and my social awkwardness, I'll make a fool of myself in an inevitable, ugly 7+v1 debate.

Anyhow, my parents were talking about the recent Indiana religious freedom law, and how they supported it. That a man chooses to be gay and that a woman chooses to be lesbian, and that they choose to be like this because they have no real moral compass, because they are an atheist or don't believe in the right god. That without objective morality or a god with which morality comes, they claimed we felt free to do anything we wanted.

My dad proudly declared that the bible was his moral compass, and the rest of the attendees murmured in agreement. They agreed that if there were no god, they would feel free do whatever they want, be it murder, stealing, or raping, without fear of divine eternal punishment. And what truly turned my stomach was hearing my dad proudly claim, almost in the same breath, that he WOULD MURDER AND RAPE if commanded by god, because god is just and moral, and thus god would have a just and moral reason for such a command.

THIS is what makes me sick. Their god is anything BUT the god that they so garishly believe in, and the book they tout as holy and moral is disgusting. No less disgusting as the fact that they interpret it any which way they want, and ignore all the bad little bits. And the worst bit, if one of them so much as hears a voice in their head and think it's god, they'll feel justified in committing something horrible because 'god said so.'

TL;DR

And so, I VERY much want to have a conversation with my parents to get across this simple point:

Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you're told.
Religion is doing what you're told, regardless of what is right.

I would very much appreciate some sources covering objective/subjective morality and why god-given 'moral compasses' are disturbing and bullnyerk.  Big Grin
RE: Moral Compass
Primer:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/ethics-virtue/

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/ethics-deontological/

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/consequentialism/
Hello and welcome to the forums!

I hear you on the sick and disgusting part, but an open declaration that one would rape and murder and commit other atrocities if god told them to is new to me. Most theists I've heard speaking out on the issue like to dodge the question by saying god wouldn't tell them to do that. That really is sickening.

I think you have a very good point there:
(April 2, 2015 at 6:50 pm)Lakul Wrote: Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you're told.

I like it. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you Big Grin
(April 2, 2015 at 6:50 pm)Lakul Wrote: TL;DR

And so, I VERY much want to have a conversation with my parents to get across this simple point:

Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you're told.

I would very much appreciate some sources covering objective/subjective morality and why god-given 'moral compasses' are disturbing and bullnyerk.  Big Grin

Ah yes, the moral argument. 

Almost every debate I've ever been in with a theist, no matter how it starts, always seems to degrade into, "Well, where do you get your morality?". Usually this comes after every one of their previous arguments have been refuted.

I would suggest searching Youtube for Matt Dillahunty's talk called, "The Superiority of Secular Morality". There are a couple of versions of the talk. 

Matt actually argues for an objective morality of sorts, based the objective reality that we all live in the same physical universe, inhabiting (more or less) the same bodies. 

I think he makes a pretty strong argument.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Welcome, Lakul.

Hang with us for long and you'll be able to waltz into that living room and destroy them! You might get booted out but that's a different issue. Smile
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Haha I'm not too worried about that ;P

Aside from bible study religious topics don't really come up between me and my parents, but nevertheless, if I can somehow geeeently ease my argument in there and get them to think for once about what they're really saying, I think I'll be doing something of a favor. At the very least, I want to give them a good idea on how atheists/agnostics/etc view and treat morality. Something different from what they're told to think at church.

Thank you for the websites and the tips, I'll be studying em ^^

And thanks for the welcome!
Welcome and good luck! Hi
[Image: dc52deee8e6b07186c04ff66a45fd204.jpg]
Hello, Lad.

They sound like a pair of winners.  Ignore them.
I agree with Min. Stick around here for a month or two venting your frustrations, and see if you still feel like you need to say something. I bet you won't, and I think you'll like this place. Oh, and Welcome Smile
"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you're told.
Religion is doing what you're told, regardless of what is right."

OMG I love this, this is iconic. Legendary.

Sorry I know he's your Dad but he's being an asshole. People who can't make up their own minds about morals, without the help of an ancient spellbook, are petty children who need to have their hand held and be spoon-fed throughout life. That's what I think of religious people who think it's impossible to be moral without religion. No independence, just want to be mollycoddled.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8080 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1842 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion stifles Moral Evolution Cecelia 107 15288 December 4, 2017 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Does religion expose the shortcomings of empathy based moral systems henryp 19 2423 December 2, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Creationist Moral Panic Amarok 15 5615 June 13, 2017 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The Moral Argument for God athrock 211 37033 December 24, 2015 at 4:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  General question about the possibility of objective moral truth Michael Wald 63 12721 September 15, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Brick Atheist moral code Void 45 15674 March 24, 2015 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: I Am Not A Human Being
  Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"? Tsun Tsu 326 64920 February 25, 2015 at 3:41 pm
  UK says atheists more moral than theists robvalue 21 4829 January 20, 2015 at 10:38 am