Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failure condition for god
Failure condition for god
This is a question aimed at theists mainly but feel free to kick my ass whoever.

Can you give an example of a failure condition for God? By that, I mean some situation, event, universal setup... anything, that would not be evidence for God in your opinion?

The reason I ask, is no matter what happens, no matter what the outcome of anything, it's heralded as evidence. But if there are no failure conditions, then you can show God exists whether he actually does, or not. Hopefully anyone who cares about truth can see the problem with that.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Failure condition for god
...atheism?
Sure, but I mean, a christian would still see an atheist as evidence for God, presumably. I'm trying to find out what a christian/muslim/whatever could experience that would not count.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Quote:
Quote:I'm trying to find out what a christian/muslim/whatever could experience that would not count.

What about when your suicide vest blows up while you are putting it on?
In the case of Jesus, he predicted the return of the Son of Man (Jesus) along with a day of reckoning within the lifetime of his listeners. Modern Christians double-talk their way out of this dilemma in various ways (such as claiming this was merely a prediction of the transfiguration where Peter, James, and John saw Jesus talk to Moses and Elijah). In reality, early Christians expected the return of Jesus as the Son of Man in their own lifetimes. Paul had to comfort Christians who worried that their deceased loved ones would not participate in the Kingdom of Heaven in 1 Thessalonians.

Quote:Matthew 16:27-28 Revised Standard Version (RSV)

27 For the Son of man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay every man for what he has done. 28 Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.”
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...w+16:27-28

Quote:1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 Revised Standard Version (RSV)
The Coming of the Lord

13 But we would not have you ignorant, brethren, concerning those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. 14 For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. 15 For this we declare to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, shall not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the archangel’s call, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first; 17 then we who are alive, who are left, shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air; and so we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...ns+4:13-18
Nothing we have yet experienced should be considered 'evidence' for God in the first place. Almost nothing we have discovered cannot be immediately explained by natural phenomena unfolding as a result of entropy, and the events that cannot yet be explained - ie, the 'cause' of the big bang - deserve better than a surrendering of the critical and inquisitive faculties of the human brain...better known as 'GodDidIt'.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(April 5, 2015 at 1:35 pm)Minimalist Wrote: What about when your suicide vest blows up while you are putting it on?

Nah, that's only evidence that God has a sense of humor.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Iro: Sure, I don't think it is either. But a Christian can literally point to a tree and say it's evidence for God. I'm saying they have set the bar so low that it can't fail.

I'm asking them to show me there is a bar.

Index of my best videos
If the fact that 1 child dies every 4 seconds (14 every minute and 21,000 every day) isn't enough to convince someone that "god" (as a being remotely concerned with humanity) doesn't exist, it's hard to imagine what could.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Yeah, you'd think that wouldn't be evidence. But I guess they consider that evidence of God killing loads of kids because of a fruit grudge.

I don't expect I'll get any answer here, but if that's the case, I've make my point Smile My stupid little point while I lie here like a dumbass.

It's a bit like numberwang...

A tree?
That's numberwang!
Cancer?
That's numberwang!

Bit obsessed with that today.

http://youtu.be/qjOZtWZ56lc

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Even if theism is a failure, it's still superior to atheism R00tKiT 491 36191 December 25, 2022 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19399 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie