Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Ass and You
Your Ass and You
In a body that contains the brain and the heart, our language (at least in English-speaking countries) seems to indicate we place the most value of all on our ass. So much so in fact, we self-identify with our ass. Our ass is us. The references in slang are numerous:

It's going to be your ass!
You're going to lose your ass!
Your ass is mine, sucker!
Your ass is grass and I'm the lawnmower!
Your mouth should never write checks that your ass can't cover.
I'm going to kick your ass!
You can bet your ass on it!
I better see your ass at the meeting tomorrow!
Get your ass over here!
You're not going to see my ass in that contraption!
You better haul ass!
What a pain in the ass!
Your ass is going to regret this.

It's an interesting cultural phenomena and I don't know what it says about us. I can't help wonder what psychological effect it has on children as they learn from schoolyard talk that the most noble part of them is their ass. Is this why so many of them grow up to be assholes?

I'm curious if anyone knows of any non-English-speaking cultures with a similar fixation. I'd hate to think it's a human thing because if it is, we're fucked up the ass.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
RE: Your Ass and You
You talking outta yer ass again?
Most of the expressions also exist in German. There are even additional ass-expressions that aren't really translatable, such as - in an attempt to translate anyway - "you're going on my ass", meaning, leave me alone or even you're a pain in my ass. Also there's a expression I'm rather fond of: "I ask my ass if he's interested", meaning, keep talking, I'm not buying. It also varries greatly between regions and countries. Especially finding the appropriate expression for ass in the right moment is rather difficult, since there are numerous to bring the message across.

What's rather unique to english speaking countries is the universal use of fuck. Also asswipe in all it's meanings isn't popular in German speaking countries.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I have never felt any great connection to my donkey. He is there to transport my goods, and that's it. You can't get too attached to pack animals.
My 'arse' on the other hand...Tongue
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
They are fascinating, that's for sure!

I don't know why they get fixated on so much in language. I do it because it's funny Big Grin Bum holes are funny.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Your Ass and You
Because everyone loves a piece of ass.
(April 18, 2015 at 11:23 am)Iroscato Wrote: I have never felt any great connection to my donkey. He is there to transport my goods, and that's it. You can't get too attached to pack animals.

The word 'arse' is bogus. It was conjured by people who are afraid of non-nonsensical 'bad words'. It is in the same category as 'shite' and 'darn'. There are plenty of words in most languages with multiple meanings. No need to invent new ones.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(April 18, 2015 at 1:59 pm)AFTT47 Wrote:
(April 18, 2015 at 11:23 am)Iroscato Wrote: I have never felt any great connection to my donkey. He is there to transport my goods, and that's it. You can't get too attached to pack animals.

The word 'arse' is bogus. It was conjured by people who are afraid of non-nonsensical 'bad words'. It is in the same category as 'shite' and 'darn'. There are plenty of words in most languages with multiple meanings. No need to invent new ones.

I think ass is more common in the USA, arse is more British. It also seems to have more emphasis in a crude way. I consider ass to be a weaker version. (but that's just my opinion, I could be talking out of my arse!)
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Hmm... Didn't the arse come before the ass? Isn't ass a bastardisation?

America is just a cheap knock of England, after all Tongue Words have "u" in them people! It won't bite! What are you trying to do, cut down on RSI?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 18, 2015 at 1:59 pm)AFTT47 Wrote:

Arse came first, american pigdog Wink
Ass came about in the 19th century, arse was used as the standard term for the buttocks but slowly became vulgarised.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM