Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Darwinian
Darwinian
Religion gives a quick and satisfying explanation for the meaning of life.

Evolution, physics, astronomy and the like describe reality as it really is but do take far more effort to understand and let's face it, most people are lazy and just want quick answers.

---

There is an evolutionary advantage to children believing what adults tell them. "Stay away from the rivers edge or a crocodile will eat you" has helped preserve the species.

However, children can't tell the difference between that and nonsense like "we must make a sacrifice to ensure a good harvest".

---

Religion is like a virus that affects the behaviour of its host in such a way as to propagate itself further

---

Religion only persists because adults impose their beliefs on impressionable children.

---

I have no problem with a belief in a God or a Cosmic Consciousness but to claim that you are in possession of his autobiography takes a special type of delusion.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Darwinian
If it doesn't exist, you have to create it..
(August 27, 2008 at 6:17 am)Darwinian Wrote: There is an evolutionary advantage to children believing what adults tell them. "Stay away from the rivers edge or a crocodile will eat you" has helped preserve the species.

However, children can't tell the difference between that and nonsense like "we must make a sacrifice to ensure a good harvest".
This one i recognize as a paraphrasing of a Dawkins quote.
(November 8, 2008 at 5:05 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote:
(August 27, 2008 at 6:17 am)Darwinian Wrote: There is an evolutionary advantage to children believing what adults tell them. "Stay away from the rivers edge or a crocodile will eat you" has helped preserve the species.

Damm.. I've been caught out again!!!
(November 8, 2008 at 5:08 pm)Darwinian Wrote:
(November 8, 2008 at 5:05 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote:

Damm.. I've been caught out again!!!
This particular version is similar to the one from 'root of all evil?' but the more detailed and longer version is in 'The God Delusion' in the chapter 'The Roots of Religion'. And I've heard him mention it on other occasions too. Want me to post the longer version of the quote that's from TGD?
(November 8, 2008 at 5:22 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: This particular version is similar to the one from 'root of all evil?' but the more detailed and longer version is in 'The God Delusion' in the chapter 'The Roots of Religion'. And I've heard him mention it on other occasions too. Want me to post the longer version of the quote that's from TGD?
You have memorized too much of that book Big Grin
(November 8, 2008 at 5:49 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(November 8, 2008 at 5:22 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: This particular version is similar to the one from 'root of all evil?' but the more detailed and longer version is in 'The God Delusion' in the chapter 'The Roots of Religion'. And I've heard him mention it on other occasions too. Want me to post the longer version of the quote that's from TGD?
You have memorized too much of that book Big Grin
Hey can't remember most of it! Only the overall book and the bits that stick in my mind.
One day I hope to know it word for word.

lol Tongue
Its my favourite book of all time.
Quote:There is an evolutionary advantage to children believing what adults tell them. "Stay away from the rivers edge or a crocodile will eat you" has helped preserve the species.

Neither would the same child understand rocket science, which has/is/will continue to be researched, taught, and carried out, in theory AND practice by (surprise surprise) real-live, tangible and qualified scientists Shock

Lets try to think out of the box and see what I mean yeah? Wink
(November 16, 2008 at 11:37 am)Mcet Wrote: Neither would the same child understand rocket science, which has/is/will continue to be researched, taught, and carried out, in theory AND practice by (surprise surprise) real-live, tangible and qualified scientists Shock

Lets try to think out of the box and see what I mean yeah? Wink
Precisely why we don't tell children about rocket science...
Neither do other religions. What that Dawkins guy or whoever the quote came from is looking at it from his own point of view. He's an adult, what he hears is what other adults tell him. You don't see people preaching to grown men and women stuff from Sunday school.
The expert in rocket science had to start off learning about fire when he was a kid too. Don't forget we're all physically and mentally human beings just like you, we know what we have to teach and when to teach.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great Darwinian Poster lambsalmon 0 684 June 1, 2014 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: lambsalmon