Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you believe in God?
Why do you believe in God?
What is your evidence or what is your reason for believing what you believe in?
RE: Why do you believe in God?
(April 25, 2015 at 11:53 pm)ObliviousCat Wrote: What is your evidence or what is your reason for believing what you believe in?

I think that God just instilled it in me. I believe that the universe needed a creator who is other than, and above, natural things. I feel his presence in my life and I also believe the people, who I deem as trustworthy, when they tell of how God has worked in them in a supernatural way. Any time I feel like I'm on the edge, my question to myself is: "If someone has a gun to my head and tells me to deny God or he'll blow my head off, what would I do"? That really takes it to the defining level. My answer to myself has always been that I'd let him shoot. I figure that if I ever answer that I would deny him, then that's the time when I no longer believe.
(April 27, 2015 at 12:42 pm)Lek Wrote:
(April 25, 2015 at 11:53 pm)ObliviousCat Wrote: What is your evidence or what is your reason for believing what you believe in?

I think that God just instilled it in me.  I believe that the universe needed a creator who is other than, and above, natural things.  I feel his presence in my life and I also believe the people, who I deem as trustworthy, when they tell of how God has worked in them in a supernatural way.  Any time I feel like I'm on the edge, my question to myself is:  "If someone has a gun to my head and tells me to deny God or he'll blow my head off, what would I do"?  That really takes it to the defining level.   My answer to myself has always been that I'd let him shoot.  I figure that if I ever answer that I would deny him, then that's the time when I no longer believe.

Come on, you can allow yourself a little bit of pragmatism in dangerous situations! Even Peter was forgiven after he had denied Jesus Tongue
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I am thinking "inertia" and "because the Bible sez so" will be popular answers.

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 27, 2015 at 12:54 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(April 27, 2015 at 12:42 pm)Lek Wrote: I think that God just instilled it in me.  I believe that the universe needed a creator who is other than, and above, natural things.  I feel his presence in my life and I also believe the people, who I deem as trustworthy, when they tell of how God has worked in them in a supernatural way.  Any time I feel like I'm on the edge, my question to myself is:  "If someone has a gun to my head and tells me to deny God or he'll blow my head off, what would I do"?  That really takes it to the defining level.   My answer to myself has always been that I'd let him shoot.  I figure that if I ever answer that I would deny him, then that's the time when I no longer believe.

Come on, you can allow yourself a little bit of pragmatism in dangerous situations! Even Peter was forgiven after he had denied Jesus Tongue

I am using pragmatism. I get killed in the short term, but I'll be rewarded in the long term. According to tradition, Peter was also crucified for his faith.
(April 27, 2015 at 12:42 pm)Lek Wrote:

I think that God just instilled it in me.  I believe that the universe needed a creator who is other than, and above, natural things.  I feel his presence in my life and I also believe the people, who I deem as trustworthy, when they tell of how God has worked in them in a supernatural way.  Any time I feel like I'm on the edge, my question to myself is:  "If someone has a gun to my head and tells me to deny God or he'll blow my head off, what would I do"?  That really takes it to the defining level.   My answer to myself has always been that I'd let him shoot.  I figure that if I ever answer that I would deny him, then that's the time when I no longer believe.

ermm, what if that gun is held to your child's head instead?

Did you ever try to find a logical explanation before jumping to the "supernatural" conclusion?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(April 27, 2015 at 1:04 pm)Lek Wrote: I am using pragmatism.  I get killed in the short term, but I'll be rewarded in the long term.  According to tradition, Peter was also crucified for his faith.

As if I had needed a reminder why religious faith is so insanely dangerous.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Quote: Any time I feel like I'm on the edge, my question to myself is: "If someone has a gun to my head and tells me to deny God or he'll blow my head off, what would I do"? That really takes it to the defining level. My answer to myself has always been that I'd let him shoot. I figure that if I ever answer that I would deny him, then that's the time when I no longer believe.
Wow dude, seriously? Why would your life be worth throwing away for the sake of giving the Old Guy a thumbs-up? I'm sure he would forgive you once your time really did come given the circumstances, if he's as loving and fluffy as you say (hint; he isn't). Tongue
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Not to be too doubtful or anything, but y'know, I could bet good money you'd say anything with a gun to your head, like most people would
(April 27, 2015 at 1:26 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: ermm, what if that gun is held to your child's head instead?

Did you ever try to find a logical explanation before jumping to the "supernatural" conclusion?

My intent is that I wouldn't in that case. I guess I really don't know until it happens.

I've heard just about every logical explanation against there being a God there is since I joined this forum. My reasons from observing the natural world seem logical to me. I have a hard time accepting that the natural world, or what makes up the natural world, has always existed. I also cannot accept that the natural world created itself. God seems logical to me.

(April 27, 2015 at 2:36 pm)Iroscato Wrote: Wow dude, seriously? Why would your life be worth throwing away for the sake of giving the Old Guy a thumbs-up? I'm sure he would forgive you once your time really did come given the circumstances, if he's as loving and fluffy as you say (hint; he isn't). Tongue

Jesus died for me, so I'm willing to do the same in return.

(April 27, 2015 at 2:39 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Not to be too doubtful or anything, but y'know, I could bet good money you'd say anything with a gun to your head, like most people would

Countless christians have died in terrible ways rather than deny their faith.

(April 27, 2015 at 2:16 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(April 27, 2015 at 1:04 pm)Lek Wrote: I am using pragmatism.  I get killed in the short term, but I'll be rewarded in the long term.  According to tradition, Peter was also crucified for his faith.

As if I had needed a reminder why religious faith is so insanely dangerous.

Is there anything important enough for you to die for?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why you can't find God MilesAbbott81 109 9372 September 19, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8219 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2747 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Foxaèr 31 4831 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 9077 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Why believe the bible? Angrboda 286 37305 July 22, 2018 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why, God? Why?! LadyForCamus 233 29799 June 5, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why do Christians believe in the Resurrection of Jesus but not alien abductions? Jehanne 72 11693 June 27, 2016 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Can you believe this shit? Spooky 35 8566 July 18, 2015 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: IanHulett
  Do You Believe (the movie) watchamadoodle 13 2624 April 12, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: watchamadoodle