Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask A Historian
Ask A Historian
Richard Carrier - PH. D. in History...not some worthless theology degree...is discussed here.

https://lagevondissen.wordpress.com/2014...of-a-myth/

Quote:Carrier dismissed mythicism for a long time and never took the claim seriously until relatively recently.  One of the main reasons for this was that the scholarly consensus was overwhelmingly in agreement that the man referred to as Jesus Christ did exist historically, even though he is believed to have been quite different from the man we read about in the New Testament of the Christian Bible.  However, when Carrier examined the reasons behind the scholarly consensus, he was surprised to see that there was a lot of fallacious reasoning used including the perpetuation of early Christian scholarly assumptions which were taken for granted to be true by later secular scholars.  Once Carrier confirmed this scholarly background information, he decided that he’d have to start from square one and re-examine the evidence from scratch.
RE: Ask A Historian
If Napolean hadn't had tummy trouble would Waterloo have had a different ending?

Were the senate right to kill Julius Caesar?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Is it "an historian" or "a historian"?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(May 17, 2015 at 1:17 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: If Napolean hadn't had tummy trouble would Waterloo have had a different ending?

Were the senate right to kill Julius Caesar?

A. Probably - although Napoleon's stomach cancer had nothing to do with the Prussians appearing on his right flank.  Had he won at Waterloo all it means is that there would have been a Campaign of 1816.  Eventually, the stomach cancer would have ended the Napoleonic Wars.

B.  Judging by the way most of them ended up?  No.

(May 17, 2015 at 1:22 pm)Exian Wrote: Is it "an historian" or "a historian"?

You'll have to Ask a Grammar Nazi.
What are the top three popular misconceptions about history that, from a historian's perspective, look very differently compared to what the usual popular narrative tells us? Let's exclude Jesus.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(May 17, 2015 at 1:37 pm)Alex K Wrote: What are the top three popular misconceptions about history that, from a historian's perspective, look very differently compared to what the usual popular narrative tells us? Let's exclude Jesus.

Ask an American who won the war in Europe and they would think they did it when in fact the Russians bore the brunt of the hard fighting.
There's a reason there are no American films of the fall of Berlin.

Philip R. Davies wrote a whole book about that cultural memory stuff.  He used the WWII example. 

In essence it comes down to Caesar's point that "Men willingly believe what they wish to be true."
Who was the "babushka lady"?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Ayn Rand?
(May 17, 2015 at 1:53 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: Who was the "babushka lady"?

Kate Bush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xckBwPdo1c