Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonk...s_business

Quote:Supporters applaud on May 19 as the Los Angeles City Council votes to raise the minimum wage in the city to $15 an hour by 2020, making it the largest city in the nation to do so.

2020?  So, don't hold your breath.
RE: Los Angeles
I'm like: they raise minimum wage to 15$?! WTF is going on!

Then read the date. Oh.

I guess they'll subsidize it with all the profits from Fusion power.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Fusion power needs water. Los Angeles is suffering from an acute shortage of water. The current drought afflicting LA is the worst in 1200 years.
I don't understand. How hard is it to... I dunno... just raise the damn thing? Why do they have to wait five years?
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(May 20, 2015 at 3:13 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: I don't understand.  How hard is it to... I dunno... just raise the damn thing?  Why do they have to wait five years?

They're probably expecting people to forget about it to then later make an exception and raise it less or none at all.

It hurts the economy to pay the labour class a liveable wage, right?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

No, actually it helps and, if you get them above the poverty line then you don't incur the costs of welfare that the city/state have to pay.

Right now, all we are doing is subsidizing these greedy corporate motherfuckers.
(May 20, 2015 at 3:13 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: I don't understand.  How hard is it to... I dunno... just raise the damn thing?  Why do they have to wait five years?

Probably it is a question of getting the votes for it.  I would imagine some would like it immediately, but some are only okay with the idea of it being a bit in the future.

Also, with it being in the future, everyone can plan for it.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(May 20, 2015 at 3:17 pm)Minimalist Wrote: No, actually it helps and, if you get them above the poverty line then you don't incur the costs of welfare that the city/state have to pay.

Right now, all we are doing is subsidizing these greedy corporate motherfuckers.

You did notice my sarcasm, right?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(May 20, 2015 at 3:17 pm)Minimalist Wrote: No, actually it helps and, if you get them above the poverty line then you don't incur the costs of welfare that the city/state have to pay.

Yes.  Right now, people who make minimum wage in some places are collecting food stamps because they are too poor to make it on their own.  When we allow companies to pay starvation wages, everyone who pays taxes is being suckered into supporting the practice.

As for the idiotic claim that jobs will be lost, a job that pays starvation wages isn't worth having.  The main point of working is to be able to support yourself, and if working does not do that, what the hell is the point of it?

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Why not higher? Why is $15 the magic number? Is there some study out there that I'm not aware of that says $15 will solve the poverty problem?