Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miserable Performance of Le Miserables
Miserable Performance of Le Miserables
My wife and I are in New York right now and, being a music and theater major and having a lot of experience singing on stage. She so wanted to see Le Miserables performed on Broadway. She brought plenty of tissues expecting to do a lot of crying. Oh, we wanted to cry all right but not for the reasons she expected. It was so bad, we left during intermission. 

I remember how we just arrived in time, having some trouble finding the right theater. When the show began, I thought we did walk into the wrong theater. We were watching some high school performance instead of the professional version we'd paid so much money to see. 

Actually, that's an insult to some of the high school performances we've seen. 

We seriously wondered if Jean Valjean was drunk, with horrid rhythm and timing. Fantine sang flat. Cosset sang sharp. Marius virtually disappeared as soon as it was time for his big number; instead of inspiring and filling the stage, he nearly put everyone to sleep. The only one who could sing was Javert and his performance was phoned in, almost like he was disgusted to share the stage with such hacks. By rights, he should have arrested the whole lot of them for the brutal assault of such a classic drama. 

And this was a fucking Broadway performance! One that we paid over a hundred dollars each for our seats.

Utterly inexcusable!  

The only thing that got me through the first act was fantasizing my wife storming the stage, bitch slapping the woman playing Fantine and throwing her off the stage and then performing "I Dreamed A Dream" as it SHOULD be done. I regret I have no recordings of her version that I can share here but she rips the song apart in a way that would do "Glee" proud. 

Just to give you an idea, here's her performance of "House of the Rising Sun"

Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: Miserable Performance of Le Miserables
(May 22, 2015 at 4:30 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: I regret I have no recordings of her version that I can share here but she rips the song apart in a way that would do "Glee" proud. 
Ouch! I hope this doesn't ruin your visit.
Ouch.  I hate New Orleans.

Sorry about the bad experience.  I've seen the National Touring co. of Les Miz several times and on Broadway c 1990.  It was fantastic every time.  Better than the movie.
Sorry about the crappy Les Mis performance, DP.  Your wife's voice is really great, though Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(May 22, 2015 at 4:30 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: I regret I have no recordings of her version that I can share here but she rips the song apart in a way that would do "Glee" proud.

OMG I actually burst out laughing reading this legendary shade throw. You need to be a judge on X-Factor with comments like that haha

Drag them to filth. That's atrocious giving you very much so karaoke performances when they're on Broadway.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Your wife has a great voice!

I'm sorry you paid so much to see such a bad performance. I love that show. I've never had the pleasure to see it live, but I have a live cast recording, the PBS 10 year anniversary special, and the more recent movie. Each is good in it's own way. If the singing was worse than the movie though...I'm very sorry. Sad The movie at least had a few very good performances to get through the bad ones, and the acting helped too.

I'd ask for my money back if I were you. That's a lot to spend on something that bad.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Performance & Boredom Azu 5 371 February 18, 2017 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: brewer