Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:21 am

Poll: Most things that you perform and get done - how interesting/boring are they, generally?
This poll is closed.
Very interesting.
0%
0 0%
A little interesting.
66.67%
2 66.67%
A little boring.
0%
0 0%
Very boring.
33.33%
1 33.33%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Performance & Boredom
Performance & Boredom
Someone once said that you need to be very interested in something that you want to perform well at. I challenge this. I perform well and do things that I find even incredibly boring all the time - 99% of the times literally. This includes reading books for myself, drawing, studying/working, meeting people, going out, cooking and exercising.

Hence, the poll question.
RE: Performance & Boredom
Are we talking about glamorous tasks like playing violin or parasailing under the Golden Gate Bridge? If so, of course those are very exciting Smile
But day to day stuff like washing the dishes or making a sandwich - sorry, those don't provide much of an adrenaline rush.
Interest is one motivator. There are others.

I'd say performance doesn't come down to interest.

It mostly comes down to talent. And secondarily it comes down to motivation. Whether it's desire or fear.
(February 18, 2017 at 4:53 am)Adventurer Wrote: Someone once said that you need to be very interested in something that you want to perform well at.

Who was that, then? I'd like to check the context.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I think it's more accurate to say if you want to progress to a high degree of competancy within your own limits at something, the vast, vast, VAST majority of the time, you have to be motivated/have an interest in an end goal or overall picture relating to whatever that something is. 

The first part relates to how some people will have a have an advantage over others due to genetics so it's not necesserily a guarantee that practise and interest will increase performance vs other people, but within your own genetic limits it will in any reasonable circumstances I can think of.

And talking about the overall goal, I think there's some element of repetative practise that every person who's building a skill finds boring, but if they have an interest in the overall goal then it will improve performance.

For example a boxer might find waking up at 5 in the morning and jogging and doing the same movements day in and day out boring but he's very interested and motivated towards boxing as an overall activity.

And I say this is the case most of the time because there are freak occourances of talent in people that seem to just be there.  For exmaple, seemingly mentally disabled savants who can play the piano better than most people having never played before in their life.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(February 18, 2017 at 4:45 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
(February 18, 2017 at 4:53 am)Adventurer Wrote: Someone once said that you need to be very interested in something that you want to perform well at.

Who was that, then? I'd like to check the context.

Well that explains my masturbation.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Miserable Performance of Le Miserables DeistPaladin 5 855 May 22, 2015 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  Dealing with boredom Edwardo Piet 20 4305 January 24, 2012 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  photoshop boredom and the brick testament Demonaura 1 1245 June 8, 2009 at 6:27 am
Last Post: leo-rcc