Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ask a Pure O sufferer
ask a Pure O sufferer
I thought I'd do a serious one.

Pure O or purely obsessional OCD is a manifestation of OCD without observable compulsions that takes the form of persistent and distressing intrusive thoughts. Wikipedia article

Ask away if you want to
RE: ask a Pure O sufferer
Where did you put that pen?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(May 24, 2015 at 1:09 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Where did you put that pen?

Which one? I have several and they're usually all in the same spot Panic
What specific intrusive thoughts do you have and how much do they impact your life?
“The larger the group, the more toxic, the more of your beauty as an individual you have to surrender for the sake of group thought. And when you suspend your individual beauty you also give up a lot of your humanity. You will do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own. Injuring, hurting, killing, drinking are all part of it, because you've lost your identity, because you now owe your allegiance to this thing that's bigger than you are and that controls you.”  - George Carlin
A couple of my friends are quite a contrast in their OCD diagnoses. One has a sense of humor about his condition, and the other absolutely does not.

Is that something you have observed in other Os you've encountered ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 24, 2015 at 1:19 pm)Saxmoof Wrote: What specific intrusive thoughts do you have and how much do they impact your life?

I'd really rather not go into detail for obvious reasons. They're related to sexuality

How much they impact my life? Boy, where do I start! Firstly they dominate most of my waking moments and it's exhausting. I spend a lot of time just ruminating. The worst part about them is how they make you question yourself over and over and over everyday. Imagine asking yourself the same question every 3 minutes and having to explain to yourself you wouldn't do that only to not be convinced of the answer again. Or spending hours online trying to get a definitive answer and never finding it. That's me.

(May 24, 2015 at 1:21 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: A couple of my friends are quite a contrast in their OCD diagnoses. One has a sense of humor about his condition, and the other absolutely does not.

Is that something you have observed in other Os you've encountered ??

I see why that other friend feels like that, it depends on the severity of the disorder and the mental strength of a person. I wouldn't joke about it and I wouldn't want others to joke about it, ever. Much respect to that first friend for that kind of attitude

I haven't met many, and most online so I have a very limited experience. Sorry, can't really give you much of an answer
Quote:How much they impact my life? Boy, where do I start! Firstly they dominate most of my waking moments and it's exhausting. I spend a lot of time just ruminating. The worst part about them is how they make you question yourself over and over and over everyday. Imagine asking yourself the same question every 3 minutes and having to explain to yourself you wouldn't do that only to not be convinced of the answer again. Or spending hours online trying to get a definitive answer and never finding it. That's me.

When you question yourself are you questioning whether the thoughts might not be the illness talking? I ask because I know from experience with mental illness (depression and social anxiety) how hard it is to differentiate between a real thought and an illness related one, thoughts like that are hard to ignore because they feel as real as any other in the moment. I can also relate to how having your state of mind altered can make you doubt absolutely everything about yourself

I do tons of ruminating aswell, do you have to stop everything you're doing and isolate yourself from people while you ruminate? I can definitely relate if that's the case

Are you on any medication at the minute?
“The larger the group, the more toxic, the more of your beauty as an individual you have to surrender for the sake of group thought. And when you suspend your individual beauty you also give up a lot of your humanity. You will do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own. Injuring, hurting, killing, drinking are all part of it, because you've lost your identity, because you now owe your allegiance to this thing that's bigger than you are and that controls you.”  - George Carlin
(May 24, 2015 at 2:10 pm)Saxmoof Wrote: When you question yourself are you questioning whether the thoughts might not be the illness talking? I ask because I know from experience with mental illness (depression and social anxiety) how hard it is to differentiate between a real thought and an illness related one, thoughts like that are hard to ignore because they feel as real as any other in the moment. I can also relate to how having your state of mind altered can make you doubt absolutely everything about yourself

Yeah, exactly. It goes like this: I have a thought rush through my brain, it causes me to freak out, I examine it and try to explain to myself I'd never do that or it's not true, but it doesn't help. Five minutes later there it goes again from the top. Knowing that this is a characterized, diagnosed disorder is somewhat comforting in that it doesn't feel like I'm some freak all alone with this. I try to tell myself it's not my thought, that it's just my brain, my disorder, but it doesn't really help much.

(May 24, 2015 at 2:10 pm)Saxmoof Wrote: I do tons of ruminating aswell, do you have to stop everything you're doing and isolate yourself from people while you ruminate? I can definitely relate if that's the case

It's more like the obsession of questioning myself is always in the background, but sometimes I spend unreasonable amounts of time on trying to sort it out. Like going online and searching for signs and sympotms, or even taking tests to try and get one definitive answer, but it never helps. Or I would just shut myself away from everyone for a while and do nothing but think about it

(May 24, 2015 at 2:10 pm)Saxmoof Wrote: Are you on any medication at the minute?

Currently not and that's something I'd like to avoid if possible
Have you ever known anyone else with Pure-O OCD In real life? Because I have to live with it as well. I found it out recently. During one particularly bad episode, I found an article by Mara Wilson, of all people, about it; despite my fascination with mental illness, it was the first time I heard about Pure-O OCD; while I do have Obsessions and Compulsions, they're not connected to each other and until I read it, I assumed they needed to be. Lest you assume I'm just self-diagnosed, when I mentioned this to my therapist and my suspicions that I may have it, she immediately confirmed my suspicions. She had changed my diagnosis a few months prior to the triple threat of depression, Pure-O OCD, and Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Some of the obsessions (that is, the clinically debilitating ones) tend to be about violence and general paranoia (the West Memphis 3 case shows that a man can be convicted for the most serious crimes on absurdly circumstantial evidence).

As for meds, I'm on Luvox, 75 mg/day. That's mainly for my depression, though, but I think it works with the OCD as well.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(May 24, 2015 at 7:48 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Have you ever known anyone else with Pure-O OCD In real life? Because I have to live with it as well. I found it out recently.

No. I know someone with 'regular' OCD, but we're not close or anything

(May 24, 2015 at 7:48 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: During one particularly bad episode, I found an article by Mara Wilson, of all people, about it; despite my fascination with mental illness, it was the first time I heard about Pure-O OCD; while I do have Obsessions and Compulsions, they're not connected to each other and until I read it, I assumed they needed to be.

Thanks for that article, it's great. Especially the neat freak part. I'm the opposite and I actually get freaked out by too much orderliness, it makes me uneasy
I don't have any visible compulsions, at all. I had some minor ones during one very bad episode in my life when my anxiety was getting out of control, but not since then
It looks like I'm somewhat better now compared to previous episodes. Can't say it's peachy - my thoughts are driving me nuts-but it ain't as crazy as before

(May 24, 2015 at 7:48 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Lest you assume I'm just self-diagnosed, when I mentioned this to my therapist and my suspicions that I may have it, she immediately confirmed my suspicions. She had changed my diagnosis a few months prior to the triple threat of depression, Pure-O OCD, and Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Sorry to hear that mate! It must be awful. OCD is rarely alone, I have other anxiety related issues as well and I've been on and off suicidal for a while

(May 24, 2015 at 7:48 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Some of the obsessions (that is, the clinically debilitating ones) tend to be about violence and general paranoia (the West Memphis 3 case shows that a man can be convicted for the most serious crimes on absurdly circumstantial evidence).

Violence is apparently a common theme in intrusive thoughts. Mine mostly involve questioning my sexual orientation and unpleasant inappropriate thoughts of that nature about other people

If you ever wanna talk, PM me. It's good to blow off some steam from time to time and looks like we're in the same shit with this