Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:41 am

Poll: Were you ever a christian?
This poll is closed.
Yes, but no longer
66.67%
26 66.67%
Never
23.08%
9 23.08%
Yes and still am
2.56%
1 2.56%
Other - Huh?
7.69%
3 7.69%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's your daddy?
Who's your daddy?
Just jackin' wich ya!

I decided to start a poll due to a recent poll.

Either you were raised a christian (belief not required) or you were not raised a christian.

There is an 'other' for the whiners.   Big Grin

I was raised in a catholic household but never believed, even for one second. I did try, but it just made no sense.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: Who's your daddy?
I was sent with a babysitting family in my early years to their church, which was in a YMCA. Not sure what type of Xian church, or if YMCA denotes a denomination of its own. My mother, who has a vague notion of god, needed some alone time, so this fulfilled that. But after a few years, she ended our relationship with them, and by extension, that church. A few years later, I discovered UUism, which I hung with from 1985-98.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I grew up mostly in the southeastern US, where I started my "education" at a private Christian school where we had daily Bible study, and my mom taught there. We were heavily involved with church, and I was even a church secretary for two years when I was in college. My dad left most of his money to his church when he died. My sister wanted to be a United Methodist minister for a long time.

Yeah... you could say I grew up Christian.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
7 years of private Catholic school (K - 6), but my mom stopped going to church except on holidays in our teens when she started having a lot of trouble sitting on the hard pews with her bad hip.
So...ir was just a slow walk away from that point. Took me some time, but here I am. Smile
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(June 7, 2015 at 10:06 pm)IATIA Wrote: Just jackin' wich ya!

I decided to start a poll due to a recent poll.

Either you were raised a christian (belief not required) or you were not raised a christian.

There is an 'other' for the whiners.   Big Grin

I was raised in a catholic household but never believed, even for one second.  I did try, but it just made no sense.

First of all, I love:

"There is an 'other' for the whiners."

That deserves kudos.

Now I have a couple of questions, though, about your last two sentences.  How devout were your parents, and why did they suck so bad at indoctrination?  There might be one simple answer for both questions, but maybe not, so I have it as a compound rather than just stopping with the first conjunct.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Not really. My father was a methodist. We stopped going to church before I started school, mostly because he was in the navy and at sea. My mother wasn't churchy. I never read the bible.

I cooked up my own theory of what god was about. Not really very xtian. Then I abandoned whatever it was I believed in elementary school anyhow.
(June 7, 2015 at 10:36 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Now I have a couple of questions, though, about your last two sentences.  How devout were your parents, and why did they suck so bad at indoctrination?  There might be one simple answer for both questions, but maybe not, so I have it as a compound rather than just stoppig with the first conjunct.

My Dad was a protestant and my Mom a catholic. My Mom felt that we should be baptised, just in case. So basically, I was baptised under Pascal's wager. Neither really practised, though there was the mostly weekly sunday services and catechism. My Mom was excommunicated twice.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(June 7, 2015 at 10:36 pm)whateverist Wrote: I cooked up my own theory of what god was about.  Not really very xtian.  Then I abandoned whatever it was I believed  in elementary school anyhow.

I tried to create a god in my head as a child and it was not until recently that I finally created a possible god scenario and it still failed the test of logic.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(June 7, 2015 at 10:41 pm)IATIA Wrote:
(June 7, 2015 at 10:36 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Now I have a couple of questions, though, about your last two sentences.  How devout were your parents, and why did they suck so bad at indoctrination?  There might be one simple answer for both questions, but maybe not, so I have it as a compound rather than just stoppig with the first conjunct.

My Dad was a protestant and my Mom a catholic.  My Mom felt that we should be baptised, just in case.  So basically, I was baptised under Pascal's wager.  Neither really practised, though there was the mostly weekly sunday services and catechism.  My Mom was excommunicated twice.

Okay.  Your failure to believe can be credited to your parents doing a piss-poor job of indoctrination.

I was raised in a family that took religion seriously.  The consequences were that it took me years of thinking about it before I threw it out as the garbage it is.  Still, I was in serious doubt as a teenager, and when I was 18, I was properly an agnostic, though I did not identify as that.  In my early 20's, I was a strong atheist.

If I had room for a third thing to appear about me here (as opposed to just the two things, my religious views, and my custom title), I would say that I am an 11/7 atheist on the Dawkins scale.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(June 7, 2015 at 10:59 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Your failure to believe can be credited to your parents doing a piss-poor job of indoctrination.

My parents would probably never have indoctrinated us anyway. They were very much into freethinking. My parents were like the 'why kids'. Whenever we said something or took a stand, they would query as to the why. They did not want us believing in anything just because everyone else did. This was far beyond any religion or god thing. We were even taught to question the statements of our teachers.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random Thoughts on Hell: Daddy's Crazy Athene 47 8866 September 18, 2015 at 10:04 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  God is my Sugar Daddy! rattleshock 2 1309 July 25, 2010 at 2:14 am
Last Post: Godscreated