Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do I do?
What do I do?
Ok, so I'd like serious answers to this thread. I have a dilemma which I need sorting out, but first I must ask that you all don't resort to media hype or general opinions based on hearsay.

I've received two offers for masters courses next year. On the one hand, Royal Holloway's Information Security Group (ISG) have offered me a place on their Information Security course. On the other, Cambridge have offered me a place on the Advanced Computer Science course.

The choice to many would seem obvious, but please hold your first reactions until you've read all the facts:

Royal Holloway
- The offer from Royal Holloway is a specialty in an area of interest for me, which could lead easily into business just as easily as it could into a PhD.
- The ISG are world renowned for their research, and are one of the largest Information Security group in the world.
- Every module on the course is of interest to me, so much so that I'd have a hard time choosing between them.
- The offer stands at a 2:2, which is remarkably low for such a course, and suggests that they really want me to attend (I've been working with them for a year).

Cambridge
- Cambridge is a world renowned university, with a large Computer Science department sponsored in part by Microsoft.
- Their masters course has only been running for a year, and is not a speciality, but it aimed at students who want to focus on research.
- Hardly any modules on the course appeal to me at all. I was asked to choose some provisional ones, and that ended up taking over 3 hours. I'm not even happy with the ones I've chosen.
- The offer hasn't come through the post yet, but I suspect it'll be around 80%, or at minimal a first (70%).
- I haven't got into a college at Cambridge yet (despite getting a course offer).

Currently, I'm leaning towards the course at Royal Holloway, because as far as I am concerned, it is the most beneficial for me, and I actually enjoy Information Security. It would give me a boost in my career, and would allow me to pursue research if I wanted to.

A lot of people have been shocked at my choice, since they all think Cambridge is the best university in the world, and I'd be stupid to not go there. My problem with this is that the course is not that great (and is only a year old, possibly explaining why), and I don't want to go for a year doing preparatory research only to find out that I would prefer to just have a job. It would leave me with a masters from Cambridge, but no specialty. If I were to go to an Information Security job interview, I'm not so sure they'd hire the Cambridge graduate over someone who has a masters in the actual subject. If I go with Royal Holloway, at least I would have a career laid out before me, and the possibility for research is still there.

If I decide I want to do research, I could always apply for a PhD in Cambridge at the end of 2010. If not, I can go get a job like a normal person.

Currently there are three people who actually support my decision; two of them my close friends. One of them supports me because he had the opportunity to apply for the same course but decided it wasn't for him (i.e. he's like me only I worked it out too late). The other one turned down a PhD offer from Cambridge to work on a PhD at Royal Holloway, for similar reasons as me (i.e. his PhD was more up his street here than it was there). My father also thinks my reasons are valid.

So evidently I'm not going to get you guys to make my decision for me, but I would value your input. Please be sincere, please read all the facts, and try to be as objective as possible.

Thanks.
RE: What do I do?
You are talking way out of my league here, but based on the information you supplied and your personal take on it... I'd say that you are making the right decision (Royal Holloway). For what that's worth.
In the end, what is really important is what skills you take from your education can you apply in the field of work or study you are going to do. If that means turning down Cambridge because Royal Holloway has the better course, then I'd say that the choice is easy.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
The question is : are you cut out to be a bullshitting anal miner or not?
I ask for sensible answers, and along comes fr0d0. I should have seen that coming...
1. Mine was clearly a question
2. perhaps I should explain Tongue ...a vague achievement from Cambridge would be useful to a career in bullshitting and anal mining I think.
3. the question is... how you see yourself as you really are - and what you think you will become.
Although it would be very prestigious indeed to have a Cambridge PhD under your belt... if you think that the course at Royal Holloway is truly that much better, you should probably stick with Royal Holloway.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Cambridge has the more broad of the offerings, although not as specific to what you want, it would be beneficial to go to Cambridge to begin, to soak up some of the enourmous prestige, and then finish at Holloway, where you could get the degree in the specificality of what you enjoy.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

I say go with Royal Holloway. Go where your interests lead you. Contrary to popular belief, the world will not automatically open up for you if you have a degree from a prestigious school. Also, 3 years after you're done with the program, where you've gone to school will not matter. Not an objective answer, but a subjective one based on personal experience. Then again, i have a social sciences degree. That'll be 9 dollars. Please drive up.
The cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself - Carl Sagan
I have no interest or skill in the field that you would like to get into, so my input on that end would be smoke in the bum. However, I will say this, education is not about a building where many great men have walked. It is about a mind in which you will be the only person allowed entry. What do you want to learn, Adrian?

I would advise that you stop looking at the job possibilities as a deciding factor. From where I'm sitting, it looks like you'll have no problem finding a great paying job, even if you attend a community college in Kansas. If you (or your parents) are going to pay out of your (or their) ass for an education, the least you can do is learn the thing you want to know most. In other words, it's about bettering yourself, not your resume. You could probably take a year off to go on a crack binge and still wind up with a nice house and a picket fence.

I went to school for precision mechanics with a focus on packaging machinery and I also took welding. I'm now a writer. So, my four years at a great school, learning a decent trade, were wasted. If you want to get into Information Security, why waste your time at Cambridge?

Sorry if I didn't make much sense. I am wicked tired. I hope you get something out of my post, anyway. Good luck.