Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Kinder God of the New Testament
The Kinder God of the New Testament
]
Quote:Revelation 8:7
The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down on the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up.
Revelation 8:8
The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood,

Revelation 8:9
a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

Revelation 8:10
The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water--

Revelation 8:11
the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.

Revelation 8:12
The fourth angel sounded his trumpet, and a third of the sun was struck, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars, so that a third of them turned dark. A third of the day was without light, and also a third of the night.

Revelation 9:15
And the four angels who had been kept ready for this very hour and day and month and year were released to kill a third of mankind.

So, kinder, more gentle Jesus returns to earth and he is pissed. Why? Who know? Some people claim that the ability of two men to enter into a legal, loving relationship will piss him off in a way that all the rapes, child abuse, slavery and murder hasn't been able to do in all of human existence. He destroys a third of humans that would include babies and children. How is this a better god than the one in the OT?
RE: The Kinder God of the New Testament
Don't forget thought crime and torturing people forever after they're dead, both NT ideas
Revelation 13

Quote:16It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads,
17so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name.

and Revelation 14

Quote:9A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: "If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives its mark on their forehead or on their hand,
10they, too, will drink the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. They will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb.

So, if a desperate father gets the mark so that he can buy food for  his children then god will torment him for an eternity? The god of the NT sounds worse than the god of the OT
(June 25, 2015 at 8:00 am)Neimenovic Wrote: Don't forget thought crime and torturing people forever after they're dead, both NT ideas

Good point.
(June 25, 2015 at 7:58 am)Nope Wrote: He destroys a third of humans that would include babies and children.?

Well, we don't know that. Maybe there's some kind of selection process involved. You know, like on the ramp of Auschwitz.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Romans 9:20-21

"Nay but, O man, who are you that replies against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why have you made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?"

So basically God builds them to burn them. and if you talk back, who are you anyway?

Quote:16It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads,
17so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name.

and Revelation 14

Quote:9A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: "If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives its mark on their forehead or on their hand,
10they, too, will drink the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. They will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb.

So, if a desperate father gets the mark so that he can buy food for  his children then god will torment him for an eternity? The god of the NT sounds worse than the god of the OT
[/quote]

Bah beat me to it.
Plato had defined Man as an animal, biped and featherless, and was applauded. Diogenes plucked a fowl and brought it into the lecture room with the words,

"Behold Plato's man!"

Actually, Jesus might be happy about gay marriages. After all, we see the disciple that he loved leaning on his breast. (John 13:23) Now what was that all about?

Even when I was a Christian, it was these passages in Revelation that made god look like an idiot to me. He was doing all this stuff to hurt humans then he'd look down and scratch his head, "They haven't repented yet?" And he'd hurt them some more, expecting that to make them repent. Idiot.

In the ot a man was responsible for his own sin. It wasn't until the nt that we had to pay for Adam's sin as well.

Kinder god? I don't think so.

Let's look at Jesus. He tells us to turn the other cheek. That seems kinder than an eye for an eye. But wait a minute. I've only got two cheeks. He's telling me not only to endure but also to invite pain and let somebody slap my head off. How is that being kind to myself?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
Am I confused? I thought that once it came back that was the end anyway. OT, NT does not matter.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 26, 2015 at 6:41 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Am I confused? I thought that once it came back that was the end anyway. OT, NT does not matter.

Once what came back?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
Quote: So, kinder, more gentle Jesus returns to earth and he is pissed. Why? Who know?

Clearly its because of boys kissing if you listen to the fuckheads in the GOP.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19324 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Old Testament Hollywood epics A_Nony_Mouse 0 876 April 21, 2013 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  The 'old testament' argument iameatingjam 53 21612 March 28, 2013 at 6:41 am
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  Dodgy morality in the New Testament StewartP 1 2725 October 6, 2008 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet