Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Apostasy worth it?
Is Apostasy worth it?
So I have completed quite a few Catholic sacraments such as: Baptism, Reconciliation, First holy communion etc. So I read up on apostasy, and I was wondering if it is worth it. On one side I want to 'part ways' with the Catholic church but on the other side, what if for example I met a girl and she wanted to get married in a Church but I couldn't because of apostasy. If anyone has gone through apostasy or if you just have a general opinion on it then please reply. Thanks.
Humanity's downfall is a trust in a God that isn't there.

The Acacia Strain-Our lady of perpetual sorrow
RE: Is Apostasy worth it?
Don't waste your life chasing after a dream wedding damn it...
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

If you want something of the Catholic Church (such as marrying in one of their churches), it would seem that you don't really want to part ways with it. If you really do, "apostasy" is meaningless and utterly irrelevant.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(June 25, 2015 at 1:09 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: If you want something of the Catholic Church (such as marrying in one of their churches), it would seem that you don't really want to part ways with it. If you really do, "apostasy" is meaningless and utterly irrelevant.

Sorry after got to add "she wanted to get married in a church" XD
Humanity's downfall is a trust in a God that isn't there.

The Acacia Strain-Our lady of perpetual sorrow
It's probably pretty meaningless in your country. You apparently have no need for the emotional satisfaction of kicking them out of your life formally.
In this one here, you automatically get taxed by the state if you are registered. Yay separation of church and state! But remember that they will claim you as a believer in their statistics.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(June 25, 2015 at 1:05 pm)piterski123 Wrote: So I have completed quite a few Catholic sacraments such as: Baptism, Reconciliation, First holy communion etc. So I read up on apostasy, and I was wondering if it is worth it. On one side I want to 'part ways' with the Catholic church but on the other side, what if for example I met a girl and wanted to get married in a Church but I couldn't because of apostasy. If anyone has gone through apostasy or if you just have a general opinion on it then please reply. Thanks.

Quote:Catechism of the Catholic Church

Quote:2089 Incredulity is the neglect of revealed truth or the willful refusal to assent to it. 
"Heresy is the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same; 
apostasy is the total repudiation of the Christian faith; 
schism is the refusal of submission to the Roman Pontiff or of communion with the members of the Church subject to him." [Code of Canon Law c.751]

If you don't convert but you don't agree with what the Catholic Church teaches you're a heretic. If you start describing yourself as an Athiest publicly then you're an apostate.

If you convert to another Christian group officially you're a schismatic, that means they consider you a disobedient Catholic not in full communion with them.

To be an apostate you actually have to make it public you're an athiest or publically piss them off like Madonna did with Like a Prayer (she got kicked out of Catholicism before she got into Kaballah).

The Catholic Church will not marry individuals in mortal sin (which all of the above are), but you could always get another denomination to marry you if a Church wedding is what you want (Methodists and Quakers will marry just about anyone). If she's a Catholic and she's serious about getting married in one you'd have to apologize and obey the rules to be allowed to marry in one (Catholics can only marry in Catholic Churches without special permission which is rarely granted, even then they must ask for permission to marry and while usually readily granted for pairings with other Christians and occasionally non-Christians it never is with former Catholics, always refused).
Suppose you meet a Mormon girl who wants to get married in a temple? You would not be allowed to marry there.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
While I would love to be on a list of excommunicated catholics, I'd have to got thru all the folderol of joining first.

Dodgy
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Did she want to marry you or the fucking church?
Is there a girl, or is she just fictional? And would you really want to marry someone who was so fundamentalist, you'd have to be on the books? I know I'd probably have very little in common with someone like that.

Also, you are an apostate already, according to Catechism, just by the "religious views" next to your avatar. Even if you sent them a letter declaring your lack of belief, they'd probably still pad their numbers with you anyway, so what's the point?
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Ultimate" meaning, "objective" morality, and "inherent" worth. Esquilax 6 3634 June 25, 2015 at 4:06 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How do christians view apostasy TubbyTubby 76 13313 December 15, 2014 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Sudan woman faces death for apostasy zebo-the-fat 17 5904 May 15, 2014 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist