Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Some Atheists Reject Morality: The Other Side of the Coin
Why Some Atheists Reject Morality: The Other Side of the Coin
As my mother says there are three sides to every story. Your side, my side and the truth. So while many of us agree that being atheist is not synonymous with being amoral, I think there are sound reasons why some atheist take that road and it’s worth exploring those reasons objectively before we condemn those who take it.

Truth is, the Church has fucked up the very concept of morality (as I said elsewhere, I’m not being profane, I’m being precise). They’ve had such crazy ideas about morality throughout history.

1. As late as the 19th century, the Church taught that it’s wrong to by insurance. One argument said that buying insurance betrays a lack of faith. For others insurance represents an effort to elude the full effect of god’s judgement. If god wants you to be destitute, then you need to accept that.
2. As late as the 20th century, the Church has condoned wife abuse but condemned women who leave their husbands
3. In the Bible, smiles on the most treacherous acts done in his name
4. The Mosaic Law tells us that if a man rapes a married woman it is not an offence against the woman but against her husband. If the rape takes place in the city they are both put to death because the woman could have screamed and been rescued. The fact that she did not scream is proof that she was complicit in this crime against her husband. If the woman is not married the man must pay her father and marry her. That the woman may not want to be in a Luke and Laura marriage is not at issue

These are just a few of the reprehensible examples that have led some people to say forget it. I will do what I will do.

Let’s not throw out the chicken with the grease. Since there is no god, then god cannot be the author of our moral sensibilities, indeed these have evolved and continue to evolve as we gleam from experience which behaviors will make life better for the inhabitants of this planet. Those who don’t like the status quo don’t have the option of moving to another planet. Those who don’t care are like someone who pisses into a swimming pool not caring about the other people trying to swim and incognizant of the fact that they are in the same pool themselves. What goes around does come around.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Why Some Atheists Reject Morality: The Other Side of the Coin
It is the natural extension of a rejection of the absolute. If life just came out of nowhere then everything is pointless and objective, why shouldn't we just do as we please?

Morality cannot exist detached from God, and we see this in the godless death culture across the western world today.
(June 26, 2015 at 12:21 pm)PiousPaladin Wrote: It is the natural extension of a rejection of the absolute. If life just came out of nowhere then everything is pointless and objective, why shouldn't we just do as we please?

Morality cannot exist detached from God, and we see this in the godless death culture across the western world today.

Absolutely! I think it's great how countries like Saudi Arabia demonstrate their morality from Allah.
Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Their morality does not come from Allah, thankfully however they have not been brainwashed by the liberals and have retained true awareness of the evils of subjective morality.
(June 26, 2015 at 12:21 pm)PiousPaladin Wrote: It is the natural extension of a rejection of the absolute. If life just came out of nowhere then everything is pointless and objective, why shouldn't we just do as we please?

Here we go again....

ALL social species have evolved 'rules' for cooperation, altruism. kin selection. If they did not, the species would not have survived.

The more advanced the social species, the more rules of higher complexity they have. If we did not evolve our morality, empathy, altruism, etc, we would not have survived as a species.

I actually do exactly as I please. I rape, murder, steal, cheat, exactly as much as I please. The amount that pleases me is exactly ZERO. 

If you did not believe in a god, would you be out murdering, raping, stealing? If so, please, keep believing.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(June 26, 2015 at 12:35 pm)PiousPaladin Wrote: Their morality does not come from Allah, thankfully however they have not been brainwashed by the liberals and have retained true awareness of the evils of subjective morality.

If their morality isn't subjective and it doesn't come from Allah, where does it come from?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(June 26, 2015 at 12:35 pm)PiousPaladin Wrote: Their morality does not come from Allah, thankfully however they have not been brainwashed by the liberals and have retained true awareness of the evils of subjective morality.

Yes, they know to worship only Allah and not conform to the Christian god. After all, the bible has been corrupted and is not the true word of god, that has only been revealed to Mohammad.
Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
It is impossible to reason with the unreasonable, and I put it to you PP that you are the definition of unreasonable. Nothing but hate, prejudice and mistrust of anything deemed to be an 'other'. How tragic for us a species.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
[Image: 18i2p2nem5aq1jpg.jpg]

How would life be objective if we reject absolutes?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 6439 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 3641 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 1982 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Morality Kingpin 101 5271 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 974 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6045 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8593 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2776 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1909 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  [Serious] Why I consider Atheists the Dumbest of the Dumb theMadJW 63 7838 May 13, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur