Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:01 pm

Poll: When using my mobile device, I prefer...
This poll is closed.
A single column (more scrolling)
90.91%
10 90.91%
2 columns
0%
0 0%
3 columna (no scrolling)
9.09%
1 9.09%
It doesn't matter.
0%
0 0%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Those of You Wwho Use Mobile Web Devices (iPhones, Smart Phones, etc.)
Question for Those of You Wwho Use Mobile Web Devices (iPhones, Smart Phones, etc.)
I design websites and I want to optimize them for UXD (User Experience Design) but I'm getting conflicting advice from online tutorials, so I thought I'd ask people who actually use these devices what they like better.

Specifically, I'd like to know do you prefer a multi column (2 or 3) page with minimal scrolling or a single column page where you have to scroll a lot?

When responding, please indicate which device you use.

Thanks.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Question for Those of You Wwho Use Mobile Web Devices (iPhones, Smart Phones, etc.)
Smartphone and sometimes tablet

Single column. I can't tell you how much I hate multiple columns -_-
RE: Question for Those of You Wwho Use Mobile Web Devices (iPhones, Smart Phones, etc.)
I use a LG G2 with Android Lollipop.

I would much prefer single column. I don't enjoy swiping sideways at all. If a website has a shitty mobile version, that is enough for me to not use that company/product. I can't be assed to request the desktop version just to get to where I need to go.

#FWP
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
LG/Google Nexus 5 / Android Lollipop.

Single column for sure.
iPhone

Single column all the way. This site was maybe the third atheist forum I checked out, and I chose it for its awesome mobile version, which is single column.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Looks like the single columnists have it hands down.

Are there any other issues I should address? What about drop-down navigation. I use it a lot but will change if it's problematic on mobiles.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(June 27, 2015 at 1:02 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Looks like the single columnists have it hands down.

Are there any other issues I should address?  What about drop-down navigation. I use it a lot but will change if it's problematic on mobiles.

Can be problematical but apple seem to have nailed it.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I personally don't like drop down menus. I'd much rather have buttons at the top. Also, I don't know what they're called, but those fields that pop up overlaid on the current screen are a pain. Wish I could describe them better. They often resemble pop up ads with the "X" in the upper right hand corner. On mobile, they're often too small, and zooming in on them only causes other weird problems, like they'll suddenly jump around when you start typing in the field.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(June 27, 2015 at 1:02 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Looks like the single columnists have it hands down.

Are there any other issues I should address?  What about drop-down navigation. I use it a lot but will change if it's problematic on mobiles.

I like drop down navigation on Android, provided that it's done consistently with ad hoc standards (i.e. there's a button in a predictable place with a predictable appearance that pulls down a navigation menu.)
(June 27, 2015 at 1:09 pm)Exian Wrote: I personally don't like drop down menus. I'd much rather have buttons at the top. Also, I don't know what they're called, but those fields that pop up overplayed on the current screen are a pain. Wish I could describe them better. They often resemble pop up ads with the "X" in the upper right hand corner. On mobile, they're often too small, and zooming in on them only causes other weird problems, like they'll suddenly jump around when you start typing in the field.

Yeah, these are very, very bad. Anything that pulls focus away from what the user wants to do is bad from a UX perspective.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Web SimpleCaveman 24 819 January 9, 2024 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  AI is so smart it's scary LinuxGal 6 679 October 1, 2023 at 1:17 pm
  [Serious] Anyone here use ECU Test? Jehanne 2 509 September 1, 2022 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Posting images etc Oldandeasilyconfused 16 982 November 8, 2021 at 10:55 pm
  [Serious] Coronavirus plotting on a web map WinterHold 6 1036 May 26, 2021 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  bots and the change of the web. WinterHold 29 2346 June 20, 2020 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How to make a "span" across the diagonal of a web-page? FlatAssembler 6 953 May 26, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Stanford creates Smart Toilet... Rev. Rye 6 1441 April 18, 2020 at 6:34 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Solar System simulation: my latest web app. WinterHold 8 981 February 7, 2020 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  [Serious] Multiple Sclerosis Map: my latest web project WinterHold 22 2915 October 4, 2019 at 10:02 am
Last Post: WinterHold