Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Euthanasia for the Depressed?
Euthanasia for the Depressed?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people...61492.html

Quote:Doctors in Belgium have granted a medically depressed woman the right to end her own life.

The 24-year-old woman, named only as ‘Laura’, told doctors she had suffered from depression since she was a child and wished to end her life, local newspaper De Morgen reported.

Laura, who entered a psychiatric facility when she was 21, told the publication: “life, that’s not for me.”

"Death feels to me not as a choice. If I had a choice, I would choose a bearable life, but I have done everything and that was unsuccessful," she told the newspaper.

I disagree with this, Depression isn't terminal. The feeling like there's no hope and no other options but suicide isn't a rational thought, that's the Depression talking. I've felt completely hopeless and suicidal myself for a long period of time and if euthanasia was an option for me then I think i'd have taken it, but now I have a somewhat enjoyable life and the hope of improving further - I wouldn't have that if I was dead

But I think this raises lots of interesting questions and i'm sure I could be moved from my position. I'm interested to hear what the people (and i am one of them) who believe that we have no right to force someone to live in agony in the case of a terminal illness feel about this, does the fact that the woman in question believes her illness is terminal count for anything? Do we have the right to end a life that isn't due to end naturally any time soon and not necessarily destined for perpetual agony?

Thoughts?
“The larger the group, the more toxic, the more of your beauty as an individual you have to surrender for the sake of group thought. And when you suspend your individual beauty you also give up a lot of your humanity. You will do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own. Injuring, hurting, killing, drinking are all part of it, because you've lost your identity, because you now owe your allegiance to this thing that's bigger than you are and that controls you.”  - George Carlin
RE: Euthanasia for the Depressed?
Interesting. My short answer is that there is not enough information for me to make an informed decision one way or the other.

Has she been continuously confined since 21yrs old? Had any previous confinements and released? Has she had documented suicide attempts previously (not just thoughts or gestures)? In only 3 years what is/are/were the treatments of "done everything and that was unsuccessful"? Seems a short time to have tried everything and given it a chance to work. What is the doctor’s determination based on? What exactly is the law that allows this to proceed? Her statement "Death feels to me not as a choice. If I had a choice, I would choose a bearable life” seems a bit off to me and I question her decision making ability.

I feel that euthanasia has its place and it should be a personal choice that is allowed as long as the person is mentally stable (among other issues like terminal, no quality of life………). Can you be depressed and mentally stable at the same time? Probably the question that needs to be debated. Maybe Belgium has had that debateand come to a societal determination, maybe not. I know that I will check out when the time is right. Not going to go through a lingering death like my parents and grandparents.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Agree that the facts presented are insufficient but, in general, its none of my business.
No. I suffered with severe depression throughout my late teens and didn't get better until 2006. The reason I don't think we need to start offing depressed people is simple, depression is a disease of the mind that will do anything to justify itself. I remember when it was bad the slightest setback in my life could set it off. It would always be something small, something anyone with a healthy mind could deal with.

If I'd been offered this I would have taken it and then I would never have known that I'd recover. I haven't felt seriously depressed since 2006 but I'm well aware that people who've had depression are more likely to get it in the future.

We don't need to help depressed people die, we need to help them survive until they recover.

Thank you for posting this thread Saxmoof.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. ~ George Bernard Shaw
I think anyone ought to have the right to commit suicide whenever they want.  For the reasoning, I will save myself some trouble and point to some writings on this:

"Of Suicide" by David Hume

Letter 70 by Seneca

Letter 77 by Seneca

Life is terminal.  You will die, no matter what you do.  It is when and how and what happens to you beforehand that are in question.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Here's the full interview from a Belgian newspaper, most of it still makes sense after being mangled by Google Translate, the translation of the last question made me laugh

“The larger the group, the more toxic, the more of your beauty as an individual you have to surrender for the sake of group thought. And when you suspend your individual beauty you also give up a lot of your humanity. You will do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own. Injuring, hurting, killing, drinking are all part of it, because you've lost your identity, because you now owe your allegiance to this thing that's bigger than you are and that controls you.”  - George Carlin
Every time suicide (assisted or not) comes up I can only think of one question:
Whose life is it?

As long as she's capable of giving informed consent on the matter, no one else has the right to tell her she must continue to suffer.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
For me the question is are they refusing to help her die, or actually forcing her to live? In some situations it's not possible to do one without the other, and that's the issue for me.

Euthanasia is never cut and dry of course. But I hate the idea of forcing people to live against their will.

I understand that people who temporarily aren't in their "right mind" need to be protected from themselves. I'm totally down with that. But what needs to be considered, in my opinion, is whether they are in the most lucid state of mind you can reasonably expect them ever to be in.

So as others have said, I would need more details.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
First off, I am glad you are doing better Saxmoof and all the others that have had depression!

I agree, with most of you.  For it to be doctor assisted the person should be lucid and able to differentiate between being hopeless or having an emanate  terminal condition.

I hate to say it but self inflicted suicide is always available, why is she asking permission if she really wants to complete her actions?
I support suicide for all, whenever and however each person desires. Good for the doctors in Belgium.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza