Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
me me me ha ha ha
me me me ha ha ha
A little bit about me : first of all I am not really new since I have been here before but the forum software for reasons best known to itself
decided one day to deny me access so I went elsewhere. Which was over three years ago and I thought I would drop by to see if I could
get in this time and here I am. I am an agnostic apatheist whose raison d etre is the acquisition of knowledge for I do not have a wife or
children and no job either so I need something else to give my life some meaning. So for me that is what gives it a purpose and function

Last year I made my peace with death and reasoned that it is nothing to be afraid of since  the eternity of non consciousness will be free
of all suffering. And as I am neither a masochist or a sadist that is something to look forward to. If I have a dangerous idea it is to teach
children that death is nothing to be afraid of. Since how can you be afraid of something which you are never actually going to experience

I try to avoid having fixed ideas about anything. But my world view can be summed up by referencing three basic principles : the golden rule
/ the scientific method / an open mind. I am completely willing to having anything I think to be true subject to uncompromising critical rigour
by others to find fault if it exists as that is the only way one can learn. Consciousness raising can be a slow process but when it is achieved it
makes one a better human being from both a moral and philosophical perspective.  I do try to treat being right and wrong with the contempt
they both deserve as Kipling suggested over a century ago. But like most if not all human beings I am psychologically attracted to the notion
of being right as often as possible. It is important not to let pride take over when one is right as objective truth is no more valid because of it

I also believe in the principle of absolute free speech because the only way to challenge unacceptable ideas is by expressing them openly and
freely. It is also an easier concept to defend because one does not have to worry about where to draw an imaginary line in the sand between
what is and is not acceptable. That space between your ears should be sovereign territory that no individual or institution should have access
to unless you want them to. I fully defend the right of anyone to think or believe whatever they want as long as it does not impinge upon the
freedom of others to think or believe what they want. And I think one must be held responsible for everything that they say in a public arena

The only thing I hold to be objectively true is mathematics because it is a discipline which cannot be compromised by interpretation and as such
is the purest form of communication known to humans. This fact alone makes me think that it was discovered rather than invented. This debate
has raged for centuries if not millennia and while it cannot be proven or disproven one way or the other I find it logically impossible that human
beings could have conceived of such a pure methodology. Now it may be that the fundamental building blocks of everything are not sub atomic
particles but mathematical properties. And that is because some of those particles can only be referenced by those properties and nothing else

I am interested in all serious subject matter. And especially physics and history and philosophy. Also space opera and classic rock which I have
been into for thirty four years. I have zero contact with other human beings in meat space but enjoy the psychological freedom of being alone  
I function far better when I am in that state. I am fifty one and so I am old enough to know what works and what does not. I do however like
debating with others on the web because I consider communication by text a superior format to communication by dialogue as one has to put
more thought into how one articulates their position. Dialogue for me is too instant and spontaneous. I prefer a more nuanced approach and I
therefore prefer words written to words spoken. I also try to read as much as I can and keep my library as broad as possible. And so will read
anything as long as it is serious. I do not care if it is complex or incredible or nauseating as long as it is not boring. As that is a cardinal sin as
far as I am concerned. Fortunately I come across books of that characteristic so rare as to be practically non existent. And so it is no big deal

I am not an authority on anything other than my own experience in real time so consider myself an eternal student. I want to acquire as much
knowledge as I can before my transition from consciousness to non consciousness. I am not interested in teaching others for I have nothing to
teach but I am interested in others teaching me. Because it is not a commutative process as it only goes one way. As your eyes may be tired if
you are still reading this then now would be a good place to stop and so I shall. Thank you for having got this far. If indeed you have ha ha ha

A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
RE: me me me ha ha ha
Well, that was one hell of an intro. Hi there! Hi

have some welcome cake c:

It sounds like you have a rational head on your shoulders. I look forward to hearing more from you on the forum. Welcome sir.

Welcome
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
Welcome!

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Heya, welcome!

Thanks for sharing, you seem on the same wavelength as me Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
tl;dr
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter