Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's Out There?
What's Out There?
This question is sort of akin to "Does a falling tree make a noise when nobody is around to hear it?" but I'm mostly interested in the phenomenon of color. We probably are all aware that what we see as red sunsets, blue skies, green trees, etc. are wavelengths of light reflecting off the particular properties of objects, transmitted through our retina and into the brain, from which differentiated sensations that we identify as colors are perceived. So my question is this: Imagine the world as it existed prior to conscious life. What did it look like? Is there any color in that world? Is it a meaningless question? What does that entail for other properties of objects "out there" that we only know through perception?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: What's Out There?
(July 9, 2015 at 8:49 am)Nestor Wrote: This question is sort of akin to "Does a falling tree make a noise when nobody is around to hear it?" but I'm mostly interested in the phenomenon of color. We probably are all aware that what we see as red sunsets, blue skies, green trees, etc. are wavelengths of light reflecting off the particular properties of objects, transmitted through our retina and into the brain, from which differentiated sensations that we identify as colors are perceived. So my question is this: Imagine the world as it existed prior to conscious life. What did it look like? Is there any color in that world? Is it a meaningless question? What does that entail for other properties of objects "out there" that we only know through perception?

Hmmm ... what did it look like before there was any thing around to do the looking.  I imagine -before there was anyone around to do the imagining- that all the essential properties of things would be the same.  Stuff will be what it is but won't enter into a looking-like relationship until the stuff itself acquires the properties necessary to do the looking.
Why do you ask grasshopper?
If it's any consolation, animals used colour to their advantage, eg: camoflauge (octopus, camelion, etc) possibly million of years before sentient humans were around.
Is this more of a philosophical question rather than a technical one?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 9, 2015 at 9:15 am)ignoramus Wrote: Why do you ask grasshopper?
If it's any consolation, animals used colour to their advantage, eg: camoflauge (octopus, camelion, etc) possibly million of years before sentient humans were around.
Is this more of a philosophical question rather than a technical one?

Ahh so the stuff was already acquiring the necessary properties.  Excellent.  Time for them to go forth and look.
(July 9, 2015 at 8:49 am)Nestor Wrote: Imagine the world as it existed prior to conscious life. What did it look like? Is there any color in that world? Is it a meaningless question? What does that entail for other properties of objects "out there" that we only know through perception?

What did the world look like before you woke up this morning? Reckon there might have been a difference?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

And bread, IMO
(July 9, 2015 at 10:28 am)Neimenovic Wrote: 42.

And bread, IMO
Is it a light rye with caraway seeds?
If not, I don't accept your version of reality.
Whatever it looked like, the looks were wasted till I began looking.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I know bees are said to see ultraviolet, and that our color vision exists within a very narrow space of the light spectrum... But I'm trying to figure out what it is we should take to mean by properties of the external world versus properties of subjective experience of that external world... There are some who want to make the whole gambit just a giant mesh of unintelligible particle stuff that has no real distinguishable structure until it interacts with mind, whatever that is (I assume bees must have something of it to see ultraviolet, on their view)... then there seems to be the more defensible position that matter has its form, but the human/animal experience is such that involves the supervenience of mental states upon physical ones, so that an object we perceive like "tree" exists mostly in the form it appears to regardless if the specific time includes me awake or alive... and then I suppose branching off (no pun intended) from there might be those who say that colors are such properties that only exist in the mental side of things, and those who say that, no, the tree is green regardless of whether or not a mind is producing the sensation of green due to the surface properties of the tree and the particular wavelengths of light reflecting off it... so... Is there any reason to believe that colors exist outside the brain in any sense? Before animals with the capacity of vision, is it more correct to just imagine everything colorless? Or, more extreme, to not have existed in any meaningful sense that we can convey? Or rather that stuff existed just as it appears to, i.e. when I'm looking at it, and that it remains exactly the same when I'm not? Why or why not?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
What's Out There?
Also depends on what type of star you happen to receive your light from.