Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello!
Hello!
Hi everyone. I joined this forum because I have recently embraced and accepted my atheistic views, and (living in conservative a** Virginia), I wanted to meet and talk with individuals who share my beliefs.

I was raised believing in the Christian God, but my immediate family was extremely loose believers and we did not attend Church or talk about it on a day-to-day basis. The majority of my religious experiences came from visits to my grandmother's house as a young child (she was very, VERY Christian),having those beliefs forced into me during my visits there. As I got older, however, I began to question, and my Christian beliefs slowly turned to skepticism, and from skepticism to agnostic, and from agnostic finally to complete atheism. I had denied it for a long while because I was afraid of the reactions I'd get (for some reason, people don't seem to like atheists?), especially since I moved to Virginia to live with my aunt and uncle, and EVERYONE is a Christian. But recently I've just decided "f*** it" and I'm letting people know what I believe. It's been getting me negative, and almost appalled, reactions, but it feels good to stand up and voice my views. 

I'm glad that there's communities like this for like-minded people and I'm excited to be a part of it. :}
RE: Hello!
Greetings.  Feel free to vent when needed.  We even have a stable of believers for you to dump on.  It's easy to find the stable.  Just follow your nose.

[Image: motivator34c5dbd3231742c829dd55f00c7a4afcc7acb61a.jpg]
Welcome Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
welcome matey ... you've come to the right place ... very honest and casual...

Wasn't Laika the first Russian dog in space?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Hey Laika, nice to meet you Smile

It sounds like your thinking skills cut through the bullshit. Good job! I'm very sorry you've had such negative reactions. It sucks that people would treat you worse because you won't subscribe to their dogma.

More and more I feel that very religious people cannot distinguish between themselves and their gods, so they take it personally. Reject their God, reject them. That's because the God exists only in their head.

Feel free to vent to your heart's content, I look forward to hearing more from you!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I Laika to meet you!

Welcome
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
[Image: o0tvi.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Hello Laika! Hi nice meeting you. Good job seeing through the bullshit!

Have sum welcome waffles c:

Bastard!, now I'm going to the fridge again! hehe

That looks fucking magnificent!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
My mouth is watering again Neim; it's even worse this time!

Welcome Laika! It feels good to get your lack of beliefs off your chest, doesn't it? Nice job being assertive with people regarding their fantastical fairy tale horseshit.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5989 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3646 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates