Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 29, 2024, 12:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bystander Effect & the Diffusion of Responsibility
The Bystander Effect & the Diffusion of Responsibility
Something just happened to me that made me think of this and I thought I would share it for discussion but also to try and influence your future actions.

I was waiting for my train at Boston's South Station, sat at a few tables near the restaurants. There are about 10 small tables there, and at the time there were probably about 15 people sat at them. Other people were walking by as one does in a train station.

Anyway, an older woman (likely in her 40s) on the table two away from my own started choking on her meal. She was hunched over, coughing loudly and repeatedly. I heard her and looked over; it was obvious to me that she was in trouble, and I grabbed a bottle of water I had and rushed over, offering it to her. She grabbed it and drank, but her coughing continued, so she motioned for me to hit her back, which I proceeded to do. Eventually whatever was stuck dislodged and she was fine. She thanked me and after refusing my offer of trying to find more help, I went to sit back down.

This is where the title of my thread comes in. At no point in the above series of events, which lasted a couple of minutes, did any other person come to her aid, or try to help me. This is a known social psychological phenomenon called the Bystander Effect. Put simply, even when there is someone in clear danger nearby, people are less likely to come to their aid if there are other people around.

There are many reasons why this happens, though Diffusion of Responsibility is a common one. It is essentially a mindset of "another person is bound to take responsibility, so I don't have to / would just get in the way". The problem is, when everyone is thinking this way, people get hurt, because nobody will help (or someone may decide to help too late).

This is likely what happened to the people around me. Some of them probably noticed the woman choking (there were people closer to her than I was) but their thinking prevented them from helping because they assumed that someone else would take responsibility. On a different occasion, I might have thought the same way.

So please take some time to educate yourself about the Bystander Effect, and try to remember it the next time you see someone in trouble in a crowded environment. Don't assume that someone will help, and even if someone gets there before you, ask them if they need any assistance. You may just help save someone's life.
RE: The Bystander Effect & the Diffusion of Responsibility
That's interesting, Tibs, and good of you to help her.

My sister, today coincidentally, was walking her dog down to the beach. There's a ramp down to the beach where skaters like to hang out and do their thing. My sister noticed the sprinklers going on either side of the ramp (grrrrr. It was 11:30, high sun, and we're in a MAJOR drought here), and there was a puddle of water in the middle of the ramp. As she was walking down, she noticed one of the skaters slip in the water, and he went flying, landing close to her. She stood over him, asked him if he was ok, and realized his head was in a pool of blood.  She immediately started yelling for someone to call 911 and asking if there were any doctors around. Then, when a doctor got to the scene, she went up the walk and flagged down a police officer and then went back to the scene. She said there were people all around trying to help. Thank goodness, the guy is ok.

I'm not sure if there's a correlation, but I've seen the Bystander Effect happen, and I've also seen situations in which people hop to and get involved, and I think it totally depends on the culture of the location one is in- namely bigger cities where people keep to themselves tend to not want to get involved vs. smaller populations where community is a big thing. I have nothing scientific to back it up; just observations I've made.

Thank you for helping that lady. I wish there were more people like you in the world.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Isn't this why when you yell fire more people will respond than if you yell rape?

The biggest factor effecting my action or lack there of is: "The type of action required in an emergency differs from situation to situation". If I think I can have a positive impact then I usually get involved. If it's something I know nothing about or don't believe I can impact then I'm less inclined to get involved (kind of like me lurking on this site). Historically: lady having a seizure - acted, loose dog in traffic - acted, man making physical threats to others with a pool cue - no action.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I think that there is also a "normalcy bias" (can't recall the exact name) at play in such scenarios. We try to maintain an illusion of normalcy in emergency situations, even when those are life-threatening. Survivors of some of the worst plane disasters can recall that many of the victims simply sat frozen in place when all they had to do was get up and find a way off of a burning plane. It's as if their minds were trying desperately to pretend that everything was alright, and it paralyzed them into inaction. Estimates are that as many as 85% of people will fall into both normalcy bias and the bystander effect. Which is scary if you ever find yourself in a situation where you need help. And maybe that's what we need to remember. Fighting such mental quirks might mean that we're the ones who get saved the next time there's an emergency.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Recently I read an article detailing the rape of a member of a 1970's all girl band. The adolescent was raped at a party in front of several people. No one helped her. Now, people are coming forward to collaborate her rape and she has partially blamed the Bystander Effect for why no one helped her.
(July 15, 2015 at 9:55 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Isn't this why when you yell fire more people will respond than if you yell rape?

Well usually yelling rape in the event of a fire isn't a logical thing to do so...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicotine has an antagonistic effect on dopamine D2 triggered sexual arousal? Ksa 6 3291 January 7, 2014 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ksa
  The effect of increasing sexualization of women in the media Mystic 37 14851 June 10, 2013 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: Gilgamesh
  A Butterfly's Effect thesummerqueen 2 1786 March 28, 2012 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Violet