Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:25 am

Poll: Why are aliens not visiting the earth?
This poll is closed.
There is (or probably is) no other life in the universe that is advanced.
12.50%
2 12.50%
Interstellar travel of intelligent beings is (or probably is) impossible.
50.00%
8 50.00%
Aliens don’t visit us because it is not worthwhile to visit humans.
37.50%
6 37.50%
Are you crazy? Have you not seen the X-Files? Aliens are visiting us!
0%
0 0%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fermi Paradox
Fermi Paradox
For those who don't know what the Fermi Paradox is:

Quote:The Fermi paradox (or Fermi's paradox) is the apparent contradiction between high estimates of the probability of the existence of extraterrestrial civilizations and humanity's lack of contact with, or evidence for, such civilizations.[1] The basic points of the argument, made by physicists Enrico Fermi and Michael H. Hart, are:
  • The Sun is a typical star. There are billions of stars in the galaxy that are billions of years older.

• With high probability, some of these stars will have Earth-like planets,[2][3] and some might develop intelligent life.

• Some of these civilizations might develop interstellar travel.

• Even at the slow pace of currently envisioned interstellar travel, the Milky Way galaxy could be completely traversed in about a million years.[4]
According to this line of thinking, the Earth should already have been visited by extraterrestrial aliens. But Fermi saw no convincing evidence of this, nor any signs of alien intelligence anywhere in the observable universe. Hence, Fermi's question, "Where is everybody?"[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

There is more at the link, so go ahead and click on it and read the article if you want to know more about it.

I will go ahead and express a couple of opinions, which I am sure that the believers in magic will reject offhand.

I am probably going to regret asking, but what are your thoughts on the Fermi paradox?

I decided to add a poll, with the following options:

1. There is (or probably is) no other life in the universe that is advanced.
  2. Interstellar travel of intelligent beings is (or probably is) impossible.
  3. Aliens don’t visit us because it is not worthwhile to visit humans.
  4. Are you crazy?  Have you not seen the X-Files?  Aliens are visiting us!
1 is basically saying that there is no intelligent life out there to visit us.
2 is basically saying that intelligent beings cannot visit us.
3 is basically saying that intelligent beings would not want to visit us.
4 is basically saying that intelligent beings are visiting us.

Please note, 2 and 3 do not necessarily exclude the idea of 1, as it may be that there is no intelligent life to visit us, but it could not visit us even if it existed, etc.  But pick the one you believe is most appropriate, or just don't pick any; I don't really care.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
RE: Fermi Paradox
Even if it's possible, interstellar colonization could simply be too expensive and offer too little benefit.

There are large areas on Earth we haven't colonized and seem in no hurry to start: deserts, poles, sea floor, etc.. The expense and technological challenge of doing so are orders of magnitude less than delivering a large enough quantity of people (hundreds of thousands? millions?) to start a technological civilization with no reasonable lifeline from Earth.

It's probably cheaper right now to protect our planet from catastrophic events (e.g. asteroid strikes) than the best case scenario: to colonize a perfectly earthlike planet with edible biota orbiting Alpha Centauri.
Who let the economist in the room?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 19, 2015 at 4:45 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Who let the economist in the room?

Y'all left the door unlocked, and I just wandered in. Big Grin
Perhaps they did intercept our earliest tv broadcasts

[Image: three-stooges-dance-o.gif]

and decided "fuck it."
(July 19, 2015 at 4:45 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Who let the economist in the room?

There you are, snake friend. I was wondering where you've gone
To put it bluntly

We as a race in whole are boring there is no redeeming qualities to earth for any advance race and or beings would simply
not hold in interests in what we are and what we are doing. They would hold some attention like hey those jack asses finally figured
out how to split a atom. Then hey those jack asses figured out some good medical practices. Then hey those jack asses finally figured out
space flight.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
The glaring flaw in the Fermi Paradox is the time factor.  Sure, you could 'traverse' the Milky Way galaxy in roughly a million years (I'm taking Fermi's word for it.  I haven't done the maths, but that number seems pretty low), but that's not the same as exploring the galaxy.

Suppose you build a box, say, 1 meter on a side (giving you a cubic meter, duh) and fill it with sand.  100 of the grains of sand are diamonds, the rest are common silica.  You could traverse the box in under a second, but to explore the box, looking for the diamonds, is going to take a bit of time.  Wikipedia informs me that, on average, a cubic meter of sand is 8 billion individual sand particles.  To check each one, assuming you spend about a half second each, is going to take you right 'round 125 years.   And that's just sand - there are a lot more stars in our galaxy than there are bits of sand in our box.

If there are ETs whizzing about the cosmos looking for other life forms (I don't think there are - I picked Option 2):

1.  It's going to take them a while to get to us.

2.  They likely don't know we're even here (sorry, Carl, but that was the grand flaw in Contact).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Oh, I'm sure they visit us but they're doing their best to stay hidden and undetected by the human technology. Considering how many gods man kind had in the past, I think whoever they are, they took warning by the story with Jesus and now they're just watching us, waiting for the moment when we will be ready for a contact. And I'm pretty sure what they're thinking: "if a human being is capable of gutting another human being (Charlie and "god" knows how many other cases before that), imagine what that human being is capable of doing against something they can't or refuse to understand".
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
Fermi, etal, postulated a colony begats colonies, and each of them begats more colonies. The idea being the galaxy gets explored and colonized in an exponentiating manner.

My 'petri dish' comparison to the galaxy springs to mind. All the germ offspring of the original spore have spores of their own. By the time the 'mold' gets to the rim of the petri dish, the petri dish is full.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is a good example of a paradox? ƵenKlassen 62 8345 December 4, 2017 at 8:15 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Paradox #1 Rhondazvous 13 2224 September 17, 2015 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Joke: the paradox little_monkey 1 1219 October 13, 2010 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: HeyItsZeus