Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 10:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paradox #1
Paradox #1
I always tell the truth. Except on Wednesday. On Wednesdays everything I say is a lie.

Am I telling the truth or lying?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Paradox #1
... yes
Lying.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
On what do you base your answers?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

[/universe]
Sum ergo sum
The fact that it's a contradiction? Lol, I dunno.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(September 16, 2015 at 11:19 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: I always tell the truth. Except on Wednesday. On Wednesdays everything I say is a lie.

You are lying.  You don't always tell the truth except on Wednesday, nor do you only lie on Wednesday.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(September 16, 2015 at 12:12 pm)Pyrrho Wrote:
(September 16, 2015 at 11:19 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: I always tell the truth. Except on Wednesday. On Wednesdays everything I say is a lie.

You are lying.  You don't always tell the truth except on Wednesday, nor do you only lie on Wednesday.

I'm astonished. Genius hands down. And nobody can say you got it from another thread.

--Voltaire

(September 16, 2015 at 11:33 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: On what do you base your answers?
International Date Line?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 16, 2015 at 1:29 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(September 16, 2015 at 11:33 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: On what do you base your answers?
International Date Line?

Hey, vic got a new avatar!

--Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is a good example of a paradox? ƵenKlassen 62 8334 December 4, 2017 at 8:15 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Fermi Paradox Pyrrho 28 4424 July 25, 2015 at 4:54 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Joke: the paradox little_monkey 1 1218 October 13, 2010 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: HeyItsZeus