Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DVDs do not last forever!
For those of you that have any significant collection of DVDs or CDS, BACK THEM UP!

I wanted to rip my DVD collection so that I could watch them from a list in iTunes rather than digging through boxes.  I have 1000+ DVDs and finding a specific one is a chore.  During the ripping process, I found that I have (at this point about halfway through), three DVDs that will not read or rip.  I tried them on three different computers with no luck.  I guess this will mean I have to replace them unless I can find someone that has those particular ones.  I tried the torrent sites, but there is so much crap out there I decided to just buy them. Ebay, here I come.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: DVDs do not last forever!
What titles are they that failed?

There was a problem with some CDs some years ago that did not last properly, as well as some LDs. Different manufacturing techniques lead to different lifespans for these kinds of products.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Equilibrium - Dimension films

Domino - New Line Home Entertainment

Matrix - Warner Brothers
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(July 19, 2015 at 4:25 pm)IATIA Wrote: For those of you that have any significant collection of DVDs or CDS, BACK THEM UP!

I wanted to rip my DVD collection so that I could watch them from a list in iTunes rather than digging through boxes.  I have 1000+ DVDs and finding a specific one is a chore.  During the ripping process, I found that I have (at this point about halfway through), three DVDs that will not read or rip.  I tried them on three different computers with no luck.  I guess this will mean I have to replace them unless I can find someone that has those particular ones.  I tried the torrent sites, but there is so much crap out there I decided to just buy them. Ebay, here I come.

On the contrary - they DO last forever but it depends on how you store them. I have CDs and DVDs recorded in 1998 and even now they look and read like they were recorded yesterday. If your DVD-ROM can't read them, that means it's time to change it. CDs and DVDs do last forever but the devices that read them - do not.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
Did they, by any chance, have cracks in the middle ring? I've had a few DVDs rendered unplayable all because of fractures in the middle. If they did, that might be the problem.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
NO. All three appear to look absolutely brand new. They are kept in boxes stored in the house with the same environmental controls under which I live. 74-76 degrees and 40% humidity.

They played originally, as I always play them within a week of purchase to identify any defects.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
The fucks a Dee Vee Dee?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(July 19, 2015 at 6:11 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: The fucks a Dee Vee Dee?
You really don't know? Digital Video Disc.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
Other than the plastic breaking down what could happen to a DVD that is in storage?

I would thing the deterioration of the plastic would take a few million years though.
(July 19, 2015 at 6:14 pm)Atheist_BG Wrote:
(July 19, 2015 at 6:11 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: The fucks a Dee Vee Dee?
You really don't know? Digital Video Disc.

Woosh.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the Acer Aspire 5 a good laptop, and will it last long? JustinBlack 4 449 July 17, 2021 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking