Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edison and Tesla
Edison and Tesla
I'd read about Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla and the "War of the Currents." Has anyone else heard of it, and what are your opinions on it?
RE: Edison and Tesla
Yes, quite interesting.

Tesla's 3 phase AC power was virtually universally adopted. Supposedly, Edison's enthusiasm for DC stemmed from his inability to do the math for AC (which is much more complex).

DC has it's place, but AC makes the world work.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(July 22, 2015 at 9:09 am)vorlon13 Wrote: DC has it's place, but AC makes the world work.

They both have their niches, DC long distance transmission lines are the favoured solution and 24VDC is the industry standard for control systems. When it come to rotating equipment though, you have no choice other than AC.
TOPSY!!!!!!!

TOPSY!!!

TOPPPPPPPSSSSSSSYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
I haven't read the book, but my favorite part of the story that I've heard is that Edison tried to prove how dangerous AC was by using it in the electric chair. Talk about negative marketing.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(July 22, 2015 at 9:33 am)Faith No More Wrote: I haven't read the book, but my favorite part of the story that I've heard is that Edison tried to prove how dangerous AC was by using it in the electric chair.  Talk about negative marketing.

See also: Topsy
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
My car has a "Tesla > Edison" bumper sticker so that should tell you where I stand. Tongue

(July 22, 2015 at 9:33 am)Faith No More Wrote: I haven't read the book, but my favorite part of the story that I've heard is that Edison tried to prove how dangerous AC was by using it in the electric chair. Talk about negative marketing.
He was worse than that. He electrocuted an elephant to "prove" that AC was dangerous. He electrocuted numerous other animals in demonstrations as well.
(July 22, 2015 at 10:59 am)Tiberius Wrote: My car has a "Tesla > Edison" bumper sticker so that should tell you where I stand. Tongue

(July 22, 2015 at 9:33 am)Faith No More Wrote: I haven't read the book, but my favorite part of the story that I've heard is that Edison tried to prove how dangerous AC was by using it in the electric chair.  Talk about negative marketing.
He was worse than that. He electrocuted an elephant to "prove" that AC was dangerous. He electrocuted numerous other animals in demonstrations as well.

I remember readng about those things he did from before. Awful! Now although Thomas Edison was still an extraordinary inventor and genius, learning about these things about him also obviously puts a terrible blemish to his good name. I always felt bad for Tesla, he didn't deserve what became of him in the end. And even Albert Einstein declared Tesla the most intelligent man in all the world (over himself).
(July 22, 2015 at 10:59 am)Tiberius Wrote: My car has a "Tesla > Edison" bumper sticker so that should tell you where I stand. Tongue

Edison was a brilliant man, but Tesla was one of those rare super-geniuses that was just so far ahead of his time.

(July 22, 2015 at 10:59 am)Tiberius Wrote: He was worse than that. He electrocuted an elephant to "prove" that AC was dangerous. He electrocuted numerous other animals in demonstrations as well.

That's pretty bad, but my point was that he electrocuted a human being in an attempt to demonstrate how bad it was. Condemned killer or not, that's pretty brutal. I mean, he had to have some inkling of how bad that was going to be to be on the receiving end.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Drunk History also did a great bit on Tesla, too.