Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Myth of The Angry Atheist
Myth of The Angry Atheist
Heard the morning DJ's on the radio discussing the attached study. Apparently the general populous think we are an angry lot. In general I don't believe I'm angry (I may not be a good judge, I'll need to ask my wife). I will get angry when religion is pushed in my face or my atheist belief is belittled or discounted.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1...9#abstract

If this has been posted before my apologies.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Myth of The Angry Atheist
I don't think I'm angry. I can be horrible if you poke my weak spot though
The abstract sounds right:

Quote:ABSTRACT

Atheists are often portrayed in the media and elsewhere as angry individuals. Although atheists disagree with the pillar of many religions, namely the existence of a God, it may not necessarily be the case that they are angry individuals. The prevalence and accuracy of angry-atheist perceptions were examined in 7 studies with 1,677 participants from multiple institutions and locations in the United States. Studies 1–3 revealed that people believe atheists are angrier than believers, people in general, and other minority groups, both explicitly and implicitly. Studies 4–7 then examined the accuracy of these beliefs. Belief in God, state anger, and trait anger were assessed in multiple ways and contexts. None of these studies supported the idea that atheists are particularly angry individuals. Rather, these results support the idea that people believe atheists are angry individuals, but they do not appear to be angrier than other individuals in reality.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1...bkVanj1JXg

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
It's interesting you posted that.  Just an hour ago, I saw this (from Friendly Atheist):

ABC's "What Would You Do" Features Angry Atheist Yelling at Praying Family in a Restaurant

For those who don't want to read the link, basically What Would You Do is sort of a hidden camera show that displays peoples' reactions in what they call "everyday situations."  Like, they'll have an actor very obviously "steal" an item from a grocery store, and film whether the other customers try to stop him, or tell someone, or remain silent.  Or, have, say, a military vet's credit card get declined and see if other customers will pay for him.

One of their recent segments was a family of actors, praying at a restaurant, and an actor portraying an atheist going berserk for having the audacity to pray in public, to see how the other patrons interacted.  Apparently they're getting a good deal of flak for their portrayal of atheism here.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(July 29, 2015 at 1:53 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: I don't think I'm angry. I can be horrible if you poke my weak spot though
Well, for christs sake, don't tell anyone where the spot is. None of us want horrible (hilk hilk).
Atheists have a lot to be angry about, the religious often get a free ride and extra power over the non-religious, the religious have a "get out of jail free" card and can do things nobody else can get away with, all in the name of "religious freedom".  Their churches don't have to pay taxes, yet still get to use public taxpayer-funded services. The list goes on and on.  It is blatantly unfair how things are set up and the religious are demanding more and more power.  Damn straight I'm angry.  You should be too.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!
(July 29, 2015 at 2:23 pm)Cephus Wrote: Atheists have a lot to be angry about, the religious often get a free ride and extra power over the non-religious, the religious have a "get out of jail free" card and can do things nobody else can get away with, all in the name of "religious freedom".  Their churches don't have to pay taxes, yet still get to use public taxpayer-funded services. The list goes on and on.  It is blatantly unfair how things are set up and the religious are demanding more and more power.  Damn straight I'm angry.  You should be too.
I agree with everything you said except the anger. Mine is something less than anger/outrage but more than miffed. How about irritated? I'll voice my opinion about it but it's not something I'm willing to go to the mattresses for.
Sorry, double post.
I'm an Agnostic and Anti-Theist,

AND I cannot deny that I am also an angry person.

But I am angry at the stupidity and destructiveness of religion, and humanity in general.

It is not my Agnosticism that MAKES me angry.

You know, for me....this is the goth argument all over again.

People thought I was depressed because I wore black.

I get depressed because people are stupid, and I wear black because the colour resonates with me;
perhaps it represents my sombre state of mind and rather cynical outlook on the world;

(as Johnny Cash observed, when people commented that he looked like he was going to a funeral:  " Well, maybe I am. " )

But no-one considers that the colour black is also sexy, slimming, powerful, mysterious, always in style
....and I don't have to separate my laundry.

But wearing black did not CAUSE me to become depressed,
and it baffles and astounds me that some people actually thought that might be the case:
"When you wear black all the time, don't you get depressed?"    Spit Coffee

In any event, I know PLENTY of Theists who are VERY angry, VERY uptight people.
I can get pretty angry with those sanctimonious cunts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18640 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  The myth of atheist core believe. The Lion Roar 102 18136 June 11, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Angry, condescending atheists Starman 91 10699 February 26, 2018 at 6:44 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Angry parents over "Islam Homework" LOL??? GoHalos1993 41 8969 December 19, 2015 at 5:20 am
Last Post: abaris
  Evisceration of the Exodus myth goodwithoutgod 33 12034 October 12, 2015 at 11:56 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Becoming an angry atheist Natachan 98 19274 December 17, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  How not to make Muslims angry. Magnum 33 14262 August 13, 2013 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Are Atheists Angry? meak 71 11512 June 6, 2013 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: c172
  Angry Atheist is Angry [at Facebook theists] Diamond 14 3859 October 26, 2011 at 11:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims? MilesTailsPrower 4 3063 June 23, 2011 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Anymouse