Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angry parents over "Islam Homework" LOL???
Angry parents over "Islam Homework" LOL???
So I guess a bunch of parents somehow think the teacher was trying to convert their kids over to Islam when it was just a simple assignment to learn about another culture. Are people really this closed minded? I'm very curious....if it were an assignment on Christianity I dont' think these parents would have a single issue with it. Then of course an atheist group would protest it and then the Christians would use their persecution card...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/18/us/virgini...d=19691139
RE: Angry parents over "Islam Homework" LOL???
(December 18, 2015 at 4:31 am)godzilla_22 Wrote: So I guess a bunch of parents somehow think the teacher was trying to convert their kids over to Islam when it was just a simple assignment to learn about another culture. Are people really this closed minded? I'm very curious....if it were an assignment on Christianity I dont' think these parents would have a single issue with it. Then of course an atheist group would protest it and then the Christians would use their persecution card...

Quote: "Here is the shahada, the Islamic statement of faith, written in Arabic. In the space below, try copying it by hand. This should give you an idea of the artistic complexity of calligraphy."

You  know, I think I would be seriously pissed off if someone forced my kids to copy a Christian statement of faith.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(December 18, 2015 at 4:36 am)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(December 18, 2015 at 4:31 am)godzilla_22 Wrote: So I guess a bunch of parents somehow think the teacher was trying to convert their kids over to Islam when it was just a simple assignment to learn about another culture. Are people really this closed minded? I'm very curious....if it were an assignment on Christianity I dont' think these parents would have a single issue with it. Then of course an atheist group would protest it and then the Christians would use their persecution card...

Quote: "Here is the shahada, the Islamic statement of faith, written in Arabic. In the space below, try copying it by hand. This should give you an idea of the artistic complexity of calligraphy."

You  know, I think I would be seriously pissed off if someone forced my kids to copy a Christian statement of faith.

I essentially agree. But this just seems like Christians complaining because there's another religion their kids are learning about. I bet these same parents would have zero problem with it if it were some kind of Christian assignment.
(December 18, 2015 at 4:39 am)godzilla_22 Wrote:
(December 18, 2015 at 4:36 am)CapnAwesome Wrote: You  know, I think I would be seriously pissed off if someone forced my kids to copy a Christian statement of faith.

I essentially agree. But this just seems like Christians complaining because there's another religion their kids are learning about. I bet these same parents would have zero problem with it if it were some kind of Christian assignment.

I think copying a statement of faith of any religion that isn't your own, is libel to piss of that group. I seriously doubt Muslims would react better if they were forced to recite the lords prayer. It also seems like a violation of the separation of Church and state.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Kids should be learning about worthwhile topics not crackpot cults like Islam and Christianity.
(December 18, 2015 at 5:17 am)Nontheist Wrote: Kids should be learning about worthwhile topics not crackpot cults like Islam and Christianity.

Yes, but it doesn't hurt to have an informed opinion. They shouldn't learn as in here's something you should subscribe to. But they certainly should learn what makes other cultures tick. Ignorance is one of the main factors that led us to where we are now.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Since religious  imagery is or was discouraged in Islamic countries, Calligraphy was developed into an important and impressive art form in the region, with entire sentences contained in complex pictures. This is something kids should be exposed to in art class, and I find your statements dismissing everything these cultures have produced very ignorant.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

[Image: 0cdc281a46d6a00050f325eb09010fec.jpg]
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(December 18, 2015 at 5:21 am)abaris Wrote:
(December 18, 2015 at 5:17 am)Nontheist Wrote: Kids should be learning about worthwhile topics not crackpot cults like Islam and Christianity.

Yes, but it doesn't hurt to have an informed opinion. They shouldn't learn as in here's something you should subscribe to. But they certainly should learn what makes other cultures tick. Ignorance is one of the main factors that led us to where we are now.

I don't remember doing assignments on the loch ness monster or mermaids.. all forms of bullshit should be kept away from education.
(December 18, 2015 at 5:21 am)abaris Wrote:

Dan Dennett says it well in my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTepA-WV...ED62584933

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18664 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Angry, condescending atheists Starman 91 10706 February 26, 2018 at 6:44 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  LOL, wonder if that was a mistake? vorlon13 11 1673 November 11, 2016 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Curious about sneezing lol mlmooney89 29 4737 June 23, 2016 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: dom.donald
  Any advice on coming out to my parents? BitchinHitchins 26 6845 August 2, 2015 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Myth of The Angry Atheist brewer 35 8199 July 31, 2015 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Parents forcing a christian convention on me - how to keep sane? coolfunkDJ 68 12748 April 4, 2015 at 5:06 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  How should I go about telling my parents that I'm atheist Ghost2282 12 3322 February 15, 2015 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Becoming an angry atheist Natachan 98 19285 December 17, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Sad Dealing with overly emotional christian parents? interstice 17 3919 September 22, 2014 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist