Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Hi....
So Hi....
I'm a 15 year old atheist from the bible belt, I haven't told my parents and to be honest I may never tell them till I'm out of the house because they would probably kick me out.

Anyways I came here to blow off steam until I leave. My story is a bit long so you might not want to read it. guess you could say I started doubting religion at 12 I couldn't really grasp the idea of God and why he had to send jesus to die for our sins. At 13 my mother went to rehab and we stayed with my grandparents who are hardcore Christian conservatives.later my dad found another woman my stepmom he became a conspiracy nut believing in chem trails and other things.

My mother came out of rehab it didn't affect her personality much but she later got into drinking again, and had to go back to rehab. this time they completely brainwashed her turning from loving and supportive of others to hateful and bigoted. She also met my stepfather who is homophobic and racist.

At 14 The indoctrination came down hard my mind slowly started losing sanity thinking God hated me and was putting me through this to punish me. I eventually read the Bible and learned I was being lied to all this time about the attributes of God and certain stories in the Bible all this pain I've suffered and time wasted for a book that condones pedophilia and genocide I soon converted to atheism.

At 14 I converted to atheism around 15 I started noticing I liked girls and guys I repressed myself sexually since I was religious and stopped repressing myself when I converted. I had always just shrugged it off especially since I was taught being gay is a choice.at first I didn't want to believe I was bisexual. I couldn't tell my grandparents they would think I just chose to be gay and would hate me. My dad would believe the goverment was turning me gay. My stepdad and my mother wouldn't want to have a "sinful" child in their house. I couldn't tell my friends some might shun me and the other ones might out me and tell my relatives. So here is my story hope you liked it.
RE: So Hi....
Welcome

Your home life sounds less than ideal.  I hope you find the forum a helpful place to blow off steam.  You are wise to wait on telling your parents about atheism until after you are out of the house (or houses).  Good luck.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Hi! Hi Welcome to AF!

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that, that's awful. I hope being here will help you somehow, like a little oasis of sanity. I know how you feel. Hopefully it'll get better once you're able to move out and be on your own. Hang in there.

And here are your welcome waffles

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcqyKtXc7tpioa1DEJKtN...zTCbfQ1nhw]
Gotta love the bible belt.. Congrats on seeing through the bullshit, and having the brains to see through conspiracy theories as well. You sound smarter than the adults around you. I had similar feelings at the same age about why jesus needed to come and save us, and why the savior would arrive 2,000 years ago, when people have been around much longer than that, but I was too fearful of hell. It took me much longer to fully de-convert, but the bad news is that you’re stuck at home with people that can’t fully use their brains, and I know the feeling all too well. Being nearly double your age, I’ll probably never tell my parents that I’m an atheist, but at least I finally told them I don’t believe in religion, which was tough.

Let your mind wonder and be free, and enjoy some sanity here.

Welcome
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
Welcome! I'm sorry you've had to grow up so fast, but I'm glad you are so self-aware.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
The only valid reason to reject any claim is lack of evidence. Tradition is not evidence, it feels right is not evidence, having bad things happen in your life is not evidence.

You don't reject god claims to be edgy or a rebel, or to advocate lawlessness. Bad things happen even in the lives of atheists.

You are young and we cannot tell you how to deal with your family because every family reacts differently.

What you can do is keep your nose clean, and educate yourself and know other peoples baggage is not yours. Don't make a war out of it, but know you will get old enough to be on your own.
(August 22, 2015 at 5:36 pm)Salacious B. Crumb Wrote: Gotta love the bible belt.. Congrats on seeing through the bullshit, and having the brains to see through conspiracy theories as well. You sound smarter than the adults around you. I had similar feelings at the same age about why jesus needed to come and save us, and why the savior would arrive 2,000 years ago, when people have been around much longer than that, but I was too fearful of hell. It took me much longer to fully de-convert, but the bad news is that you’re stuck at home with people that can’t fully use their brains, and I know the feeling all too well. Being nearly double your age, I’ll probably never tell my parents that I’m an atheist, but at least I finally told them I don’t believe in religion, which was tough.

Let your mind wonder and be free, and enjoy some sanity here.

Welcome

It's not all bad here in the Bible belt we have good food it's mainly the older generation and the kids they've brainwashed who don't have modern technology to research things who you gotta watch out for
Welcome, Very Welcome.

Others have said it, I'll confirm. Keep your head down and mouth shut as much as possible, at least for awhile. If you parents are snoopers don't leave anything "outing" available to them. That includes this site and anything else online.

If you want to come out to them (atheist/boy-girl/whatever) you can always come here for suggestions and guidance.

Wishing you the best.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Greetings, F/H.  I won't even comment on your miserable home life.  Just a thought.  Think about getting a part-time job.  Between that and school it should cut down significantly on the number of hours you have to spend with those fucking people.

Wouldn't hurt you to have a few bucks in your pocket, either.
Welcome aboard.
We've been getting a few bible belters, lately... maybe you guys can setup a get-together! Wink
In the meantime, lay low with that weird family of yours. It's the only two you have... and you already have one more than most of us. No use in pushing them away.