Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
veterinarians with questionable ethics
veterinarians with questionable ethics
So, here's the story.

Our male dog (Nico) was playing fetch with our female (What). He has a typical male ego, always has to at least try to win. So I threw the ball and he planted wrong on his right hind leg. We could tell that he had injured himself (a small yelp and minor limp). Took him to the first vet (our regular) and they diagnosed achilles tendon pull and prescribed restricted activity and anti-inflammatories. No problem.

My wife (who treats her dogs as children, way over the top when there is potential sickness or injury) takes him to a "sports vet" this morning. When she comes home she is in tears. This vet states that he has a grad 2 (grades 1 through 3) tendon strain and a calf muscle tear. The treatment directions were to completely restrict his movement until told otherwise (no leash walking, no stairs, no jumping, no playing). Heat packs 3 times a day along with manipulations of the toes and lower foot (ankle area in humans). She also sold her a tPEMF device for $300 to accelerate healing. The diagnosis was based on physical examination and x-ray. These are both soft tissue injuries. We have been instructed to make return visits every week.

Of course, the skeptic in me immediately said something is amiss. Soft tissue injury diagnosed by x-ray? Reg flag #1. I then went to her website. She is a DVM but also states she has a PhD but it does not state what it is in. A little investigation turns up that the PhD is for study of fruit flies. Red flag #2. Her web site treatment modalities apart from standard accepted medical care include the following: chiropractic, traditional chinese vet medicine (TCVM which includes "we will examine the animal’s tongue and feel their pulse quality" and "diagnoses to describe how the body is out of balance"), acupuncture, chinese herbal therapy and cold laser therapy. Reg flag #3. The tPEMF (targeted pulsed electro-magnetic field) is a conductive ring with a disposable battery pack. I don't have much personal knowledge of this device but can find no documentation of trials documenting its efficacy in soft tissue injury. Red flag #4. One more bit of info, on his leash walk the last two days Nico has been pulling hard enough to take my 130lb wife off her feet.

After blowing my top we contacted a third vet affiliated with a vet teaching hospital in KS for a third opinion. That will take place later this week. If anyone is interested I'll relay that diagnosis and treatment recommendation.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: veterinarians with questionable ethics
First off, good job! Very smart of you to check the vet. Sorry to hear about Nico, hope he gets better soon and it isn't anything serious.

And what a dickcheese that woman Angry

do let us know how it goes with the third vet
That's not confined to vets. When I was a child I had an exostosis in the knee. The problem with that was that my father had me privately insured and so the surgeon we consulted advised to operate immediately. We decided against it anyway, but a few years later, when I no longer had private insurance, I went to the same surgeon because I didn't want to get drafted (we still have the draft). And a miracle happened. Suddenly it was no big deal, not worthy of any attention. And certainly no reason to operate or to avoid the draft.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 25, 2015 at 6:00 pm)abaris Wrote: That's not confined to vets. When I was a child I had an exostosis in the knee. The problem with that was that my father had me privately insured and so the surgeon we consulted advised to operate immediately. We decided against it anyway, but a few years later, when I no longer had private insurance, I went to the same surgeon because I didn't want to get drafted (we still have the draft). And a miracle happened. Suddenly it was no big deal, not worthy of any attention. And certainly no reason to operate or to avoid the draft.
Same thing happened to me with my knee. With HMO care, "it'll heal on it's own in time". With private insurance 3 years later, "we need to replace the knee, how's your schedule next month?".
(August 25, 2015 at 5:54 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: First off, good job! Very smart of you to check the vet. Sorry to hear about Nico, hope he gets better soon and it isn't anything serious.

And what a dickcheese that woman Angry

do let us know how it goes with the third vet
I'm not to worried but thanks for the concern.
When I was a kid, my younger brother kept going into coughing spasms. Doctors kept saying that it was nothing and he would grow out of it. Finally my Mother insisted on an x-ray and several more doctors later, one begrudgingly x-rayed my brother and lo and behold, there was something lodged in his lung and he was dying (stated by the doctor that said nothing was wrong and an x-ray was a waste of time and money).

To this day, I have had three Army physicals, one stitching when I was a kid and treatment for a severe motorcycle accident. I think that I am doing just fine without doctors.

My vets suck too. We have a couple cats with non-healing sores that the vet said was allergic reactions yet antibiotics cleared it up. I though allergic reactions succumbed to antihistamines, but hell, what do I know.

We do have access to one good vet, pricey and 30 miles away (not good in an emergency, but better than the locals). We brought her one of our cats that got hit by a car and you could tell she loved animals was was doing her best to save it's life.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Be happy they didn't tell you it was a torn ACL.   That's $3-4 grand.
(August 25, 2015 at 9:36 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Be happy they didn't tell you it was a torn ACL.   That's $3-4 grand.
This one may have tried to get away with something like that. The thing that might have stopped her is that it'd get around the dog community here. We are such gossipy little bitches.
My vet (we have 2 cats) doesn't seem to have much 'camaraderie' with critters, but he's very skilled and I'd rather have a competent vet than one that wastes time trying to 'bond' with cats he only sees for maybe a period of minutes once a year.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ethics Project - Need Help Heat 2 790 April 30, 2016 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Ethics Project Heat 18 2258 February 29, 2016 at 10:34 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The ethics of cloning extinct animals BrokenQuill92 36 7207 June 20, 2014 at 11:11 am
Last Post: LostLocke