Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The ethics of cloning extinct animals
The ethics of cloning extinct animals
Do you guys think we should? Or do you think we should just let things that r dead and gone stay that way?
RE: The ethics of cloning extinct animals
What's unethical about it? I say we clone the neanderthal too.
I don't think it is but a lot people seem to think we'll pull a Frakenstine or Jurassic Park if we're not careful. I was wondering about the thoughts of other non - believers on the topic!
Nothing unethical about it at all.

Nothing unethical about resurrecting an extinct animal if either the process or the result brings humanity net benefits.

Nothing unethical about purposedly causing the extinction of an animal if either the process or the result brings humanity net benefits.
I want to bring back extinct animals to see how they taste.
(April 28, 2014 at 2:54 pm)KUSA Wrote: I want to bring back extinct animals to see how they taste.

I'd imagine rather beefy. It seems as if some of the oldest living animals have a beef like texture to their meat. (Shark and alligator r what I've tried)
(April 28, 2014 at 2:47 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: I don't think it is but a lot people seem to think we'll pull a Frakenstine or Jurassic Park if we're not careful.
Which would be AWESOME.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(April 28, 2014 at 4:06 pm)Tonus Wrote:
(April 28, 2014 at 2:47 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: I don't think it is but a lot people seem to think we'll pull a Frakenstine or Jurassic Park if we're not careful.
Which would be AWESOME.

You are a total guy!
I don't think of it as unethical. I just think we should be careful how we go about it.

I also think our first efforts should be to preserve the species we have or have recently become instict due to the actions or inaction, of humans.
Dying to live, living to die.
(April 28, 2014 at 4:06 pm)Tonus Wrote:
Which would be AWESOME.

I dunno, dude, the last time a bunch of raptors got loose in my office, it was anything but awesome for the guy in the cube next to me.

[Image: 5723033_700b.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your stance on bringing back extinct species? Fake Messiah 80 2371 March 12, 2024 at 8:50 am
Last Post: brewer
  Cloning is safer - the perils of sexual DNA combination? Duty 21 1630 October 14, 2021 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Without rape, most animal species would go extinct Alexmahone 34 4426 May 25, 2018 at 11:25 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Ethics Project - Need Help Heat 2 788 April 30, 2016 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Ethics Project Heat 18 2258 February 29, 2016 at 10:34 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  An Evolutionary Connection Between Plants and Animals? Rhondazvous 2 1024 February 18, 2016 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  veterinarians with questionable ethics brewer 8 1777 August 25, 2015 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Should we allow Pandas to go extinct? Welsh cake 45 7888 August 19, 2014 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: bladevalant546
  Sexual relationships in animals vs. humans Kayenneh 6 2967 March 29, 2014 at 1:35 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Embryonic stem cells: Advance in medical human cloning downbeatplumb 1 1684 May 16, 2013 at 3:17 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko