Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oliver Sax Died
Oliver Sax Died
Quote:Oliver Sacks, the neurologist and acclaimed author who explored some of the brain’s strangest pathways in best-selling case histories like “The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat,” using his patients’ disorders as starting points for eloquent meditations on consciousness and the human condition, died on Sunday at his home in Manhattan. He was 82.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/31/scienc...uirks.html

I can't believe there will be no more Sax books commenting on how are mind works and more often what happens when it doesn't:

Quote:We see with the eyes, but we see with the brain as well. And seeing with the brain is often called imagination. And we are familiar with the landscapes of our own imagination, our inscapes. We’ve lived with them all our lives. But there are also hallucinations as well, and hallucinations are completely different. They don’t seem to be of our creation. They don’t seem to be under our control. They seem to come from the outside, and to mimic perception.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/kellyoakes/oliver-sacks-quotes

I learned the proprioception from him and a dozen interesting things about the way the mind works.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: Oliver Sax Died
There's a connection between one of his cases and the movie Memento.

If any of you have not seen Memento, it's worth a watch; you'll either love it or hate it, you'll never forget it, unlike Leonard Shelby.

LOL, I have a uniquely weird interpretation of Memento I've not seen noted anywhere else . . .

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  John Oliver on riots and looting. Brian37 31 2625 June 9, 2020 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Mr.wizard
  Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. Jehanne 203 24396 April 28, 2018 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Charles Jenkins has died Sterben 0 444 December 13, 2017 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  This Douchebag Should Have Died. Minimalist 0 465 October 4, 2017 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Otto Warmbier, Student Imprisoned By North Korea Has Died A Theist 25 5685 June 22, 2017 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  John Oliver being sued by Greedy Coal Bastard Divinity 2 1007 June 22, 2017 at 1:49 am
  John Oliver's Take on Theresa May's Disaster Minimalist 4 1476 June 12, 2017 at 6:16 pm
  John Oliver Blasts The WLB on Paris Accord Minimalist 0 750 June 5, 2017 at 11:44 am
  Al Jarreau has died. Brian37 5 942 February 13, 2017 at 10:44 am
Last Post: c172
Sad Amber Rayne has died Aractus 6 9962 April 22, 2016 at 4:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4