Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 8:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our New Server
Our New Server
Ok, so thanks to everyone who donated on my birthday (a total of $221); it was very much appreciated. We managed to hit and pass our target by an extra 19%, and so the total amount raised is $547. I have gone ahead and purchased the dedicated server on the annual lease (meaning we waived the setup fee). The invoice for this purchase is attached for your perusal, and I've added some explanation of the costs.

So, how is the new server different from the current? Well, the current one is a VPS, (Virtual Private Server) meaning we share one server with a few other clients, each having a virtual server running on the one machine. Our new server is a dedicated server, meaning that our machine is just ours. It's dedicated to hosting our website 24/7.

In terms of specifications, the current server had a Dual Core AMD Opteron, 1GB of RAM (memory), and 20GB of hard disk space. We now have an Intel Celeron (2.66 GHz), 2GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard disk space. All for a much cheaper price than what I was paying for the current server, made even cheaper by the discounts we got.

I'll be hopefully setting it all up this weekend, but it might take me a few weeks to get everything working (exams, revision, etc). This server will remain up until around the 20th though, so everything should have been switched by then. I'll post more updates when to expect downtime as the site migrates.

All we have left to do is to come up with a name for the server. It needs to be: all lowercase, only letters and numbers (no spaces), and something cool or witty. Make your suggestions in the thread!

RE: Our New Server
How do you mean "name for the server" precisely? WIll this change the internet URL or anything significant or noticeable?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I wish I knew what all that meant, Adrian. I'll assume it's good and just say "Yay, thanks."
What is the max character length on the name?
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
(May 1, 2010 at 12:39 am)Saerules Wrote: How do you mean "name for the server" precisely? WIll this change the internet URL or anything significant or noticeable?
Nope, it's just the name of it.
(May 1, 2010 at 3:53 am)Shinylight Wrote: What is the max character length on the name?
There isn't one. Try to keep it under 15 though.
Viki!

But no, name it after my computer: Vivi! Tiger

or not... Sad
(April 30, 2010 at 11:35 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Ok, so thanks to everyone who donated on my birthday (a total of $221); it was very much appreciated.
Dude, I'm sorry I'm so darn poor. If only I was a Catholic. But happy B-day man!

Have plenty of pasta! FSM Grin

A name for the server? How about "to_serve_man"?

"It's a cook book, it's a cook book!" :]
Apophis. Sokar. Chronos. Terminus. Terranova. Decimus Toradus. And those are just the few names I can come up with out of the blue...
I propose calling the server "Galilei" for the father of modern astronomy.
Hoi Zaeme.
Name it after yourself: "Adrian_Hayter" Tongue

Isn't that what all evil melodramatic psychopaths do? Tiger

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Everyone say a big "Welcome Back!" to Shell B, our new moderator! Tiberius 43 7086 May 7, 2018 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Staff Interviews - Losty (Plus our NEW YouTube channel!) Tiberius 72 16003 November 5, 2016 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Cheers to apophenia, our new newest moderator. Faith No More 33 8107 November 13, 2013 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Mystical
  Congratulations to our new administrators Shell B and Moros Synackaon! Tiberius 30 10258 May 3, 2012 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New Server! Tiberius 32 7735 April 19, 2012 at 9:36 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Server Issues Tiberius 39 13037 March 31, 2011 at 8:33 am
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  Shell B is our new Moderator! Eilonnwy 15 4325 August 21, 2010 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Server Updates Tiberius 0 1776 May 13, 2010 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: Tiberius